Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Strike Two

Last night we watched the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. An odd story, but really well done and really enjoyable. It was a long movie, and really is a love story but involves a child with a strange disability that sees some discrimination. I could say it was the pregnancy hormones, but in reality it was just like me to be bawling at the end of the movie! Love a good cry at a movie!!

Anyway, a small character in the movie repeatedly mentions having been struck by lightning 7 times, and being thankful he's still alive. It's actually LOL funny. With today's storms and the events I'm about to relay it occurred to me that lightning really does strike twice.

Remember how on Sunday I got so frazzled when Emma threw up and I was all alone? She topped it tonight!

Scott was up at church working, so I was eating my dinner in the armchair while Emma played on the floor near me. All was good until...

I looked over at her and saw a black smudge on the beige rug. Wondering how she found some mud (or if Scott had been wearing dirty sneakers in the house!) I went to investigate.

It took me quite a few seconds to realize that it was not mud, and indeed the same substance was oozing out of Emma's diaper. There are three important points to mention here:
1) Emma usually only poops when she sleeps - I don't know why.
2) Having been constipated, Emma's poop has been pretty firm and 'neat'.
3) She was not wearing any pants because it was humid today and I never replaced them after her nap! (I know, that'll teach me!)

After recovering from the initial shock I realized that Emma had it on her hand and all down her legs! This was so much worse than some puke! So much worse!!

I quickly laid her down and told her not to move! Deliberating between getting the wipes and getting her shirt off (which was already dirtied!) I think I worked in that order - it's all a blur.

I wiped hands, legs, feet, back to the hands! I grabbed a clean diaper and put it under her before undoing the dirty one. Unfortunately it got soiled on the way so I ditched it for another clean one.

Emma doesn't mind diaper changes, unless you hold her legs up for too long, which of course I had too! So she started crying and squirming!

Once I got her wiped and diapered I put her to one side to play while I tried to work on the 4 carpet stains. Baby wipes did not cut it so I got out the Clorox wipes which did the trick.

I removed the clearly contaminated toys, and prayed that none of the others had been hit!

I washed my own hands about 6 times, and after seeing Emma had something under her fingernails I got a bowl of soapy water and gave her hands and arms a good clean too.

After a few more washes of my own hands (don't judge me!) I was able to sit back down and finish the other 80% of my now barely warm dinner. All the while I was pretty grossed out and wondering how I might microscopically check the wicker toy basket and other toys for bacteria.

The question of whether Emma put her hand in her mouth at any point remains unanswered, I can only presume not as it was her left hand that had any significant poop on it and she prefers to suck her right hand!

So there you have it, a clear example of how one trial (Sunday) can prepare you for a greater trial ahead! And I am pleased to say that I had a sense of humor about this one from the beginning (if not tinged with a smidgen of disgust!).

No comments: