Friday, July 24, 2009

Pro-walker

Emma has now officially been "walking" for 18 days. However, she is not walking like someone who took their first steps less than 3 weeks ago. She is walking with confidence (increasingly), carrying objects, changing direction etc. This is probably due to her age and the (really) long time she was walking holding hands and cruising on the furniture.

At therapy on Tuesday Melissa was saying that she is more advanced than a 12 month old who just started walking. To illustrate the point as Emma carried a block to me Melissa suggested she come and look in the box for more blocks. Emma instantly stopped and pivoted 180 degrees and went back to the box! She said that was awesome, so I am excited for Emma!

I am aware that some of these milestones may not seem like a big deal to other parents, but then I can only view it from our perspective. We were never sure how her development might be affected by her condition. It is a source of much joy that her body is catching up with her intellect.

Anyway, the past few days Emma has been walking all over the house. Often she is walking for the sake of it and follows me in the kitchen only to follow me right back out! Just today we stopped at the church to see Scott and she walked all around. I hope she will do it on Sunday, but I think all the people make her nervous, not to mention the jungle of legs!!

Last night I thought I would get it on video to show you.


Of course, this was the only time she had trouble with the threshold and crawled a bit!!

After that I gave her the camera and since she kept walking round and round with it I thought it would be fun to press record...






It's so funny - every time Emma walks past us or into the kitchen Scott and I look at each other, all excited! I've said it before and I'll say it again, we will certainly never take milestones for granted!!

No comments: