Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tough week (already)

On Monday we got a new pulse-ox machine to monitor Emma's oxygen level and heart rate when she sleeps. Right off the bat it was alarming us that she was desating, which was odd because prior to that she rarely had any desats. According to the equipment company, the new machine is more sensitive, so perhaps she's been having desats that weren't picked up.

That night she was really congested and we actually had to suction her (first time in ages). I'm not sure if it's a cold, allergies or maybe teething? She had a pretty restless night though, and wanted to get up at 6.30am. I brought her in with Scott and I but she didn't stay sleepy for long.

I was exhausted and Emma was a little fussy so Mr. TV played babysitter for most of the morning, before I tried to get her to take an early nap with me - no luck!! As it was she stayed true to her normal schedule and didn't nap until noon. Poor thing - both her eyes and nose were dripping all day!! I hoped I might also get a nap today...

Of course that never actually happened! Scott popped in for some lunch and we got into a big conversation. (We have started to screen our conversations so that we don't disagree or discuss worries in front of Emma - it seems to affect her right away.)We don't really fight, thankfully. When there is a difference of opinion we give each other time to air them both before we try to reach a compromise, but my tone of voice can be a bit harsh sometimes!! )

At the moment we are working together, in faith, through some worries. As you may recall, Scott was laid off in May and is still not back in regular union work. Thanks to small jobs here and there so far we've been okay, but with only one income it makes things a little unpredictable. I am also one who does not like any form of uncertainty!! All this would be enough but we are also expecting a new baby in September!!

There are extreme steps we can take if it comes to it (short of selling everything!!) like me finding some work, though my earning power is way less and I have about 6 weeks before I'll be too busy! Rather than panic and make major changes we might regret, we are waiting on God to see where he is leading us. It is important during this time that we maintain excellent communication, both in our worries and needs, but also in our support and encouragement for one another - we learned that when we were in the NICU.

In the meantime Scott has been blessed to be able to put in some good hours on the church renovation - I say blessed because his heart is to use his skills to serve God in the most practical of ways. I'm so proud of how gifted he is, but also that he has incredible integrity and values. Some things are just more valuable than money.

More than once I have looked heavenward and asked why now! I don't have any specific answers but I do get the sense of "why not?"! After all it is only through trials that we learn our strength (in faith) and develop greater patience and perseverance.

We are thankful for the sermon we heard on Sunday, by a guest Pastor. He spoke about fear and the need to stand on god's promises and not allow fear to cripple you. So far I'm doing pretty good - my words are lining up with my actions. When I do get overwhelmed, as I did today, it's important to get it off my chest. That is why faith needs to be renewed daily - the stresses of life can wear it down!

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. (2 Corinthians 4: 16-17)

For the rest of the week I'll be aiming for more sleep, and praying for peace to enjoy the next few weeks!!

Stay tuned for details of our visit to Orthopedics on Thursday!!

No comments: