Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bridge collapse

The employment rollercoaster sails on this week! I believe the last I had mentioned was that Scott was due to go back to full-time union work this past week. That didn't happen, but we were given a "definite" for Monday (tomorrow) - the first "definite" we'd had. We were hopeful.

Unfortunately those hopes were disappointed with a text message yesterday (I know - sometimes a phone call is more appropriate!). Again, work was anticipated for the [ambiguous] "middle of the week."

Scott has worked for the same company since joining the union in 2002, and really has no desire to leave. Unfortunately they have not had any work for him for 4 months, and while his boss has found things for him to do here and there, non-union work does not contirbute to our benefits.

After giving the boss the benefit of the doubt for many weeks now, Scott and I decided that it is unreasonable to be kept hanging indefinitely and he let his boss know that he would start seeking alternative employment in earnest, tomorrow.

It is a leap of faith for us, because in doing so Scott has effectively turned down any of the additional work that was being offered.

With the new baby being due in two days (and hopefully arriving no later!) I can honestly say my heart dropped when his boss responded with "good luck." I don't know why I expected anything different, but I did. The tough part for me is that I can only be an observer in the situation and offer Scott my support and encouragement.

For Scott, who seems to be taking it in stride, I'm praying that a job will be available soon. He hates to be idle and is such a great carpenter. I know he is trusting God in this, to be able to provide for his family and will do what he needs to do.

I would like to ask you to join us in praying for clear direction and continued provision. Nobody wants to be in this situation, and many people are. However we have put our hope and faith in Jesus, and the promises given in His Word. We are thankful that God is by our side through it all.




No comments: