For the past few weeks we've been trying to figure out the best way to help Emma's bowels. She is afflicted with slow motility in her bowels probably due to the gastroschisis. What this means is she gets constipated and has very dry hard stools. Yes, it's gross but it's part of our reality!
I think it has become more of an issue lately because of all the real food she is getting, it's more for her to handle. The doctor said it should get better as she gets older and more used to the food. In the meantime Emma has a BM about every 3 days, but only after we give her some laxative. Most kids go daily or more often. We now have to monitor her output to try and lessen the discomfort for her. And so we don't end up back in the ER!!
Last night she kept waking and crying for no apparent reason, so I gave her a hit of Little Tummies, and she was able to go. She was still very fussy though and I noticed she sounded congested. Today she has quite the runny nose going on and is a little cranky. I hope it is a short lived issue!
That's tough enough, but I am also wiped out and unable to play with her. Even reading a book to her is a chore because I'm so uncomfortable. We have played with her new toys a bit today, but I long to be able to sit or lay on the floor and play with her.
Come on Toby - everyone's waiting for you!!
I think it has become more of an issue lately because of all the real food she is getting, it's more for her to handle. The doctor said it should get better as she gets older and more used to the food. In the meantime Emma has a BM about every 3 days, but only after we give her some laxative. Most kids go daily or more often. We now have to monitor her output to try and lessen the discomfort for her. And so we don't end up back in the ER!!
Last night she kept waking and crying for no apparent reason, so I gave her a hit of Little Tummies, and she was able to go. She was still very fussy though and I noticed she sounded congested. Today she has quite the runny nose going on and is a little cranky. I hope it is a short lived issue!
That's tough enough, but I am also wiped out and unable to play with her. Even reading a book to her is a chore because I'm so uncomfortable. We have played with her new toys a bit today, but I long to be able to sit or lay on the floor and play with her.
Come on Toby - everyone's waiting for you!!
1 comment:
Everyone seems to have the runny nose thing. Even I had it bad yesterday and was practically laid out on the couch. It's harder for Emma I know but it passes quick (some comfort for you)!
Just wanted to let you know I'm back and reading the blog again now that I have a working computer! haha
Post a Comment