Thursday, September 10, 2009

Oh what a night

I'm pleased to report that Emma is showing little signs of still being sick. Her temperature is back down consistently and her heart rate is at normal sleep levels, that is when she is sleeping! Throughout the night last night she seemed to me to be crying almost constantly.

I avoided going in to her room until 2am when I just couldn't take anymore. Her nurse suggested that she might be hungry - fair given that she'd only had Pedialyte all day! I grabbed some formula and gave her half a feed. She was still crying and I lay my head down by hers - she grabbed my neck and held on tight!

Still crying I asked the nurse to turn her CD back on (why they turn it off..?). As soon as she did Emma calmed immediately! The CD is of instrumental hymns and she has had it playing since she was a newborn. I think it is very calming for her.

Eventually I was able to extract myself from her grip and went back to bed!

I heard her crying again at 5.30am and waited at least 15 minutes. Apparently as soon as I opened my bedroom door she pointed toward our room and said "eh". I went in and she calmed immediately.

Not good. She's been like this during the day too - crying desperately when I won't hold her, and sometimes even doing it to Scott. Last night we were at a friends house and she had a fit when we wouldn't hold her.

Naively I assumed that was reasonable as it was almost bedtime and she's sick. I now realize we are dealing with tantrums. And no ordinary tantrums - tug on your guilt-ridden emotional heartstring tantrums!! Yes, I'm sure more experienced parents around us probably knew that! I bet Scott did too!! Sometimes I take a while to catch on!

I am really dealing with some guilt about having another baby. Is that nuts? I worry I won't be able to really give her all the support she will need and that she won't feel loved. Hopefully this is just par for the course and it will all work out! I will be trying to address this super-clingyness pronto, not least because I simply don't have the energy to be at her beck and call.

No comments: