Monday, October 26, 2009

Good news

When Toby was born without any complications it was a huge relief. It would not have changed our feelings toward him, but obviously we could look forward to a more straight-forward start for him.

Then we went through the whole tongue-tie issue, which threw me for a loop. I had to make decisions on feeding etc, which was a whole new experience for us. Emma's feeding schedule is under close advisement from the doctors, as most things have been. We are making decisions for Toby all by ourselves - scary!!

One of the other uncertainties we faced was that Toby failed his hearing test at a day old, and needed a repeat test within a month. For the past couple of weeks we have been watching for signs that his hearing is fine and telling each other just that. However, in the back of our minds nothing is impossible!

This morning I took Toby to the hospital for the repeat test. As we sat in the waiting room and I gave him a bottle it really occurred to me, this could go either way. Over the weekend my relationship with Toby has changed some. I am less frustrated and he is more alert. I feel much closer to him. That said I was preparing myself for whatever the examiner would tell me.

If there is one thing I have learned in the past few years it is that we (people) take far too much for granted. So when the examiner told me he passed the test in both ears I was flooded with joy, for him as much as myself. As standard as these tests are, every time our children pass even the most basic, I will rejoice because it is a gift.

After the test we headed home, via Christina's to pick up Emma. Christina has been watching Emma for me when I need to take Toby somewhere - despite having 3 other kids to watch!! It's been a great help and I really appreciate having such a good friend. We love seeing Emma give Nathan a hug goodbye - they're so cute!!

No comments: