Sunday, October 25, 2009

Church day

Toby made his first trip to church today and it went well. We fed him right before we left and he fell asleep in the car. I did have him on show for a bit before service and no one tried to touch him, or asked to hold him, which was great.

When he did wake up I put him in the carrier n my chest and kept him with me in the sound booth. During part of the service Scott and I had to go in front of the congregation, so there were lots of "aahhs" when people saw me carrying the baby!

After service we stayed for a luncheon and Toby slept in the stroller. When PB came over to hold him I had to turn him away! For one he was sleeping, but I knew that as soon as one person got him there would be a line forming!! I don't blame people, I'm just not ready for that yet. (PB - you'll be the first to get him when I am!!) I even make Scott use hand sanitizer before picking him up in public places.

There was actually a child in church today who had been in hospital with croop this weekend! I may be paranoid, but a "mild upper-respiratory infection" is not mild for a child with obstructive sleep apnea and trouble swallowing (like Emma) or a newborn!

All the media hysteria surrounding the flu and swine-flu makes me so nervous. I realize that there is no way to completely avoid it and practicing good (even obsessive) hygiene is the best form of defense. Then there is really praying for good health and protection.

As an added defense I've started giving Emma the extra breast milk that I don't freeze. It's already having a great effect on her bowels, I haven't had to give her laxative this week. I am hopeful the immunities will be good for her too.

One thing's for sure, Emma brings us so much joy. Each day we see new things in her that make us smile with pride, or just downright crack up! She's taken to walking around shrugging her shoulders, or stopping at random and squatting. When you ask her a question she usually says "no" while shaking her head and signing "no" with her hands!! That's pretty often as she forgets to say "yes" some of the time.

This afternoon she was listening to Scott's IPOD through the earphones, and talking into it like a phone!

This week we have a repeat hearing test for Toby on Monday since he failed the one they did at birth, which is apparently fairly common. Then Toby has a follow-up with the pediatrician on Tuesday. Other than that we are going to try and get into some kind of routine. The weather's turned colder so it will likely be home-bound!!

I got a lot of rest this weekend, and though I'm still exhausted I feel a little more optimistic about the week. Emma's speech therapist told me any remaining tongue-tie won't be a problem for Toby in the future. She actually talked me through nursing and said he was doing well with it - it was just too time-consuming with a toddler running around! I have been pumping and bottle feeding and it seems to be working well so far. Only time will tell if it was the right call, but I have much less frustration with him.

No comments: