Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Breaking ground

Today was a slow starter. You know the kind - bring the kids into the big bed until they start climbing the walls! When we did make it downstairs it was because Emma pointed at her belly and said "hurt!" You know what that means don't you?? She was hungry - and knew it!!!

For the first time in a while I gave her a jar of baby food for breakfast. (I've been doing great with lunch and dinner but mornings are tough!!) With a little coaxing she made it through the whole jar.

Now lately I've been obsessing about the need to teach her things. The whole pre-school/kindergarten set-up over here has me really confused. I don't know when she's supposed to start formal education or what she should know. (Did I mention she can count up to 10, with one or two errors, and can tell you how many fingers you're holding up on one hand?)

Anyway, today I decided to bring my focus back to eating. My goal: to see if Emma would eat a whole jar for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

In the meantime I decided to push the envelope today by going out at 11.30am! (You have to realize I usually aim to be back by then and rarely go out after 10am!) We were back by 12.30pm and although nap-time is 1pm I managed to get a jar of food into Emma!!

After nap and some play (ok, TV!) Emma sat down to dinner. Yes, she ate a whole jar again, and still had room for a couple spoons of pears!

It's so exciting. I'll enjoy this moment for a, well moment(!) before I move on to figuring how we tackle the next step. What's that? We have to get Emma drinking enough to hydrate herself. The eating is only half the battle, and drinking is harder for her to do in large quantities.

Back to enjoying the moment...

No comments: