Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bring it on

Life continues through a series of endings and beginnings. We have new days, weekends and months. Then there are years. You'll notice that our years are grouped based on the life of Jesus. It's not by coincidence. I believe that God specifically gave us these cycles of time (including the lunar cycle) as milestones for us to evaluate passing time as we often do, and consider our way for the future.

New Year is a huge time for us to evaluate where we have been, and where we are going. This year the new decade also begs a look back over the previous ten years. As you might be, we've been quite retrospective this weekend.

Scott looks back at 1999 when he was in the grips of drug and alcohol addiction. He never dreamed that he would be married with two children in 10 years - he wasn't expecting to be alive. But God had a plan for him.

I was doing my thing, living, with no real purpose. I dreamed of one day being married with children. I'm pretty sure I was expecting that to be in the UK. God had other plans!

In a path of divine appointment, Scott and I found each other and the rest is history! (It's one of my favorite stories, for another post!)

And in the few years since then our lives have found purpose in serving God, each other and sharing the good news where we go. There have been great challenges, and far greater joy, often simultaneously. I never thought I'd really understand James 1:2 - Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, but I really do.

And we have no reason to expect anything less for the future.

We celebrated the New Year last night with a date! We went out for dinner just the two of us, which we have not done in a while. We talked about this new year, shared goals and dreams but we didn't make plans. It's tough for me not to plan, I'm very goal-oriented and that usually means plans. But increasingly I realize plans are subject to change - and I'm okay with that.

This year I dream of getting healthier and in shape (who doesn't!!). But more importantly I dream of blessings for my family and friends, solutions for challenges we face and a deeper relationship with Jesus.

We can't wait until we have enough money for this, for the kids to be older for that, or for better weather to do what's needed. While we are waiting for better circumstances we often miss the living that is happening around us.

13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."
James 4: 13-15


This year, this day, live with purpose. If you don't know what your purpose is, ask the one who created you.

Happy New Year!

No comments: