Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Action, man!

When Scott got laid off last year we were pretty nervous. It had never happened before, but was only supposed to be for a few weeks. Scott didn't even look for another company to join, planning on supporting us with side work.

When those weeks turned into months, and the side-work was drying up we realized we had to take further action. You may remember, Scott started with a new company for a short time, before his old company had work again.

During those months without regular employment I think we tried to tighten our belts, but with me being pregnant (and maybe a little lazy) we opted to get take-out fairly regularly, albeit salads! We also had our regular vacation, date nights (usually dinner out!) and so on.

When the work started back up again it wasn't long before we returned to any old patterns we'd abandoned. Money was coming in and things looked good. I do regret that we did not do more to prepare for what was really likely to be repeated.

This time it's different. We realize that the "few weeks" could be much longer, and even if they're not, periods of unemployment could become a regular thing. Without the side-work lined up like last time I have to say I have had moments of panic.

I really do believe that God will bring us through this, and am sure that we are learning a lesson we really missed last time. Unfortunately, I am still me and that means I worry about things I can not control - which is quite possibly the definition of insanity! Why worry if you have no control?!

Anyway, rather than sit back and worry I am going to take action, and hope that this is part of the lesson we should be learning. While Scott takes the work that comes his way, I have opened my mind to the idea of taking some work myself. While leaving the kids is not part of this action yet, I'm exploring my options for working from home.

Some of you have told me that I "should write a book" or something similar based on this very blog. I'm stepping out in faith that you might be right.

Admittedly, I'm fairly sure that this is just like the people who go and audition for American Idol because their friends said they should, when in fact they sound like a tortured cat! However, if there is some way I can help keep the roof over our head it's worth a try.

I've joined a couple of websites for freelance writers/proofreaders and such. They seem very complicated, and without any qualifications (not even a college degree) or experience, I don't know why anyone would hire me, but that's the faith part!! If it is God's will for me to pursue this, I know it will happen.

In the meantime, we could use your prayers and encouragement. Sure, we need work and I need to relax! But more than that, much more, we need to know what God's plan is for our lives.

Is this a hint that we should sell up and move to Mexico to help build churches (Scott's theory)? Is this a lesson in trusting God for provision and faith in His ways? Is this a change in the channel through which God is providing? Is this a prompting for me to find regular employment? How can we uphold what we learn when things get good again?

So many questions, but I have one answer. Action. God does not want us to sit on our chair and wait for money to come out of thin air. He wants us to work hard, honor him and continue to seek His will.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok so somehow, Scott's theory sounds totally like Scott! :) LOL

i will be your editer/proofreader if you would like. i do work REALLY cheap...(i/e: free!)

love you guys!
~Kali