Check this out... 8.45pm, Saturday night leaving our friends house:
Me: Let's go home and go n-nights.
Emma: Nope.
Me: Yes, we're going home and going to bed.
Emma: Nope.
Me: Umm, yes.
Emma: Umm [pause] nope!
Emma: Yes. Umm nope.
Me: This is not a democracy, we're going home to bed.
Emma: Nope...
She's a trip.
Earlier in the evening Scott had been playing with Emma and the three boys in their playroom. Baby Aaron, who is a robust 20 month old, plowed Emma to the ground. She cried to Scott who told her to get up and push him back. To his surprise she did just that and knocked Aaron to the ground! I hope she doesn't try that too often!!
In addition to "look Mummy" Emma is using other peoples names much more. For example, we heard "Look Jeremy" on Saturday as Scott carried Emma around on his back, like a horse. Then "Look Pops" when Scott was throwing her up in the air in our living room. Mummy, Daddy, Nana and Toby are the easiest and most often the names we here.
If you ask who's coming to visit "Nana" is the first suggestion. If the answer is yes then Emma immediately signs book!
Last night Scott had to go up to her in bed because she was crying out. She was saying "inky" but he didn't click that she was looking for her binky (pacifier). He tried to subdue her and in the end she stood up on the bed and grabbed the spare from her night stand and laid back down! Scott then suggested she sleep without the binky, to which she said "okay" and stood back up. She put the binky on the nightstand... and picked up a different one, laying down with it! (We keep spares there so we don't have to search under the bed for spares!!)
The sign that your child watches too much TV - when they know the schedule by heart! On Playhouse Disney there are 2 episodes of Mickey Mouse every morning, seperated by Shaun the Sheep and Special Agent OSO (same every weekday). This morning as Mickey finished ("bye Mick-key") she started saying "sheeps" before any sign of the show!! "Bye bye sheeps!"
The TV issue is a matter for debate. Guidelines say that kids her age should watch no more than an hour a day. I do like to have the TV on myself as background noise. I think it's something that helped me to feel less alone when I was. Anyway, Emma's therapists think it's fine because she has learned so much from it.
Just the other day Dora was catching stars. Emma turned to me with her arms straight up in the air and hand together above her head. In two years of therapy we have not been able to get her to do that!!
That said, I am trying to turn it off as much as possible. When the weather is good I plan to go out for walks with the kids. I would really like one of those Moby wraps as the baby carrier I have starts to hurt after a little while. We can't do shopping trips right now - and I don't window shop!! Playing upstairs also helps as Emma has her own space and neither of us watch TV!!
Me: Let's go home and go n-nights.
Emma: Nope.
Me: Yes, we're going home and going to bed.
Emma: Nope.
Me: Umm, yes.
Emma: Umm [pause] nope!
Emma: Yes. Umm nope.
Me: This is not a democracy, we're going home to bed.
Emma: Nope...
She's a trip.
Earlier in the evening Scott had been playing with Emma and the three boys in their playroom. Baby Aaron, who is a robust 20 month old, plowed Emma to the ground. She cried to Scott who told her to get up and push him back. To his surprise she did just that and knocked Aaron to the ground! I hope she doesn't try that too often!!
In addition to "look Mummy" Emma is using other peoples names much more. For example, we heard "Look Jeremy" on Saturday as Scott carried Emma around on his back, like a horse. Then "Look Pops" when Scott was throwing her up in the air in our living room. Mummy, Daddy, Nana and Toby are the easiest and most often the names we here.
If you ask who's coming to visit "Nana" is the first suggestion. If the answer is yes then Emma immediately signs book!
Last night Scott had to go up to her in bed because she was crying out. She was saying "inky" but he didn't click that she was looking for her binky (pacifier). He tried to subdue her and in the end she stood up on the bed and grabbed the spare from her night stand and laid back down! Scott then suggested she sleep without the binky, to which she said "okay" and stood back up. She put the binky on the nightstand... and picked up a different one, laying down with it! (We keep spares there so we don't have to search under the bed for spares!!)
The sign that your child watches too much TV - when they know the schedule by heart! On Playhouse Disney there are 2 episodes of Mickey Mouse every morning, seperated by Shaun the Sheep and Special Agent OSO (same every weekday). This morning as Mickey finished ("bye Mick-key") she started saying "sheeps" before any sign of the show!! "Bye bye sheeps!"
The TV issue is a matter for debate. Guidelines say that kids her age should watch no more than an hour a day. I do like to have the TV on myself as background noise. I think it's something that helped me to feel less alone when I was. Anyway, Emma's therapists think it's fine because she has learned so much from it.
Just the other day Dora was catching stars. Emma turned to me with her arms straight up in the air and hand together above her head. In two years of therapy we have not been able to get her to do that!!
That said, I am trying to turn it off as much as possible. When the weather is good I plan to go out for walks with the kids. I would really like one of those Moby wraps as the baby carrier I have starts to hurt after a little while. We can't do shopping trips right now - and I don't window shop!! Playing upstairs also helps as Emma has her own space and neither of us watch TV!!
1 comment:
I have NEVER window shopped until recently. I find it relaxing to be out of the house with the kids and their attention is on "stuff"! Though for me it is VERY dangerous because I really HATE to window shop so I have to buy something! haha even if it cost only $.50! Any thursday you can join me at target for window shopping! :)
Post a Comment