Saturday, June 12, 2010

Life lessons

Children have a funny way of teaching us things about ourselves and life without even trying. Whenever I am asked to share about lessons I have learned, or to explain a spiritual matter I usually end up with an anecdote about my children!

Take tonight for example. We decided that tonight would be the night that the pacifier would go. It was suggested that the "binky fairy" could come in the night and take the thing, specially placed in a bag, much like a tooth, and replaced in the morning with a gift.

Unfortunately that did not work out and I did not want to leave it another 2 weeks (next week being Father's Day it might spoil it!). Instead I splurged on "Sweet Dreams Dora" to ease the loss.

After a great day with lots of friends an fun, the kids were bathed and first Toby, then Emma put to bed. Emma climbed in and immediately whined for the binky - "Ninny"! This is not usual, and did not bode well.

I picked it up from the nightstand and preceded to tell Emma how much she is loved etc, and that the binky is for babies, so it's time for it to go. And now she's a big girl, her friends can come to stay. Whoa, look who's here - Dora!!

Of course Emma was thrilled. Dora's eyes close when she lays, she talks if you press her belly, and she's ready to sleepover. Awesome. Not bad at all.

5 minutes later, loud crying. I go in - "Ninny!!!" We go over it again, bring back the focus on Dora and leave.

A couple more minutes, same deal. It's okay though when Dora is talking. The problem - Emma's weakness, and fatigue mean she's not strong enough to press the belly!

I try and comfort her, having mixed emotions. One is extreme guilt at not stopping her anxiety when I can. The other is frustration that she doesn't understand it's for the best. After several minutes I say out loud "I need help" - Scott can hear me in the other room on the monitor!

He comes in and kicks me out.

As I listen to the alternating crying and Dora speaking coming from behind the door it occurs to me that the night Emma was crying with pain was easier than this. I could not help her then, but to hold her and provide some comfort. Now I know the solution but can not offer it!

Which brings me to Emma. The physical pain she felt may not have been constant, but it was not helped by anything. tonight, the emotional pain is not constant, seemingly occurring only when Dora is silent and the loss of the binky remembered. And so I am intrigued by what is clearly a direct link between Emma's thoughts and her suffering.

If only we were able to direct our thoughts, how much pain could we avoid inflicting on ourselves.


We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:5

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Phillipians 4:7-9


No comments: