It's been a while since I gave any detail on Emma's progress with eating. I know because I get asked that question most! I liken it to growing one's hair - you don't realize how much it's grown because you see the gradual change.
A couple of days ago as I wiped Toby down after breakfast (fist goes in mouth and spreads food over face!) and then cleared Emma's tray and let her down that I realized how far we have come.
In November when we earnestly began feeding Emma 1-3 times a day it could get pretty messy. She would accept about 6 small spoonfuls of stage 2 baby food. Even then it might be coughed up or pushed out.
There've been some big milestones along the way. The first whole veggies, the first shared lunch etc. Last night was one more - we went out to a Chinese restaurant for dinner and ordered an entree for Emma! There was no kids menu, so we got sweet and sour chicken for her. She loved it, but not as much as the fried noodle chips and duck sauce she chomped on beforehand!! (I brought food for Toby which he ate between chewing on the table cloth and flirting with the waitress!)
Then you look at today's menu as an example of how far we've come. For breakfast she had a toasted frozen waffle with syrup, and some canned mandarin oranges, the new favorite. At the store she wanted cheese from the deli, but they weren't cutting it fresh so I gave her a Ritz cracker.
Then for lunch I gave her some deli ham and sliced cheese. She also ate some of the chicken left over from last night, and some chunks of real banana.
She has recently developed a love of the classic hot dog, which she handles well with the skin pulled off.
I don't remember much of the journey that we came on to get here, but I know it was long and bumpy at times. I also know there were many times I thought we'd stalled out and would go no further. I'm ashamed to say I really never thought I'd see this place, where Emma and I can share a box of chicken nuggets - that's right, I said share! I am so proud of my little girl I will even share my food with her!
It's now a matter of time for Emma to gain strength and skill with the food she eats. I think it is much more effort for her to eat than the rest of us. With the low muscle tone I imagine it is like eating when you are really tired.
Next week's sleep study will tell us if the progress with eating and talking has helped the obstructive sleep apnea enough that she can do without the CPAP. If she can I will look for an option to lose the night feeding too and she can sleep without intervention.
All things are possible.
A couple of days ago as I wiped Toby down after breakfast (fist goes in mouth and spreads food over face!) and then cleared Emma's tray and let her down that I realized how far we have come.
In November when we earnestly began feeding Emma 1-3 times a day it could get pretty messy. She would accept about 6 small spoonfuls of stage 2 baby food. Even then it might be coughed up or pushed out.
There've been some big milestones along the way. The first whole veggies, the first shared lunch etc. Last night was one more - we went out to a Chinese restaurant for dinner and ordered an entree for Emma! There was no kids menu, so we got sweet and sour chicken for her. She loved it, but not as much as the fried noodle chips and duck sauce she chomped on beforehand!! (I brought food for Toby which he ate between chewing on the table cloth and flirting with the waitress!)
Then you look at today's menu as an example of how far we've come. For breakfast she had a toasted frozen waffle with syrup, and some canned mandarin oranges, the new favorite. At the store she wanted cheese from the deli, but they weren't cutting it fresh so I gave her a Ritz cracker.
Then for lunch I gave her some deli ham and sliced cheese. She also ate some of the chicken left over from last night, and some chunks of real banana.
She has recently developed a love of the classic hot dog, which she handles well with the skin pulled off.
I don't remember much of the journey that we came on to get here, but I know it was long and bumpy at times. I also know there were many times I thought we'd stalled out and would go no further. I'm ashamed to say I really never thought I'd see this place, where Emma and I can share a box of chicken nuggets - that's right, I said share! I am so proud of my little girl I will even share my food with her!
It's now a matter of time for Emma to gain strength and skill with the food she eats. I think it is much more effort for her to eat than the rest of us. With the low muscle tone I imagine it is like eating when you are really tired.
Next week's sleep study will tell us if the progress with eating and talking has helped the obstructive sleep apnea enough that she can do without the CPAP. If she can I will look for an option to lose the night feeding too and she can sleep without intervention.
All things are possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment