Saturday, September 25, 2010

New Phase

Today is the start of a new phase in our lives. Now, you could say that every day if you wanted, but today really is significant.

On Thursday night Dorothy came for her last shift as Emma's nurse. Dorothy has been with us since December 2008! She loves Emma a lot, and Toby too. We invited her to come later than usual and be able to stay and play with Emma in the morning.

Emma did not need to hear the word "play" more than once to be up out of bed and playing with Dorothy!
We said heartfelt goodbyes and promised to stay in touch. I meant it.

Last night was supposed to be Nicole's last shift. She's only been with us over the summer, but we really like her and Emma was her first home-nursing patient. So imagine our suprise when Dorothy showed up! Apparently they reassigned Nicole at the last minute, and didn't tell us. Typical!

This morning, after breakfast and while Toby was in his crib, I set about making some changes I had dreamed about. I went into Emma's room and (after cleaning!) removed all the signs of the nurses. The hand sanitizer, ring binder, dish detergent (for cleaning the feeding equipment) etc.

I put the pulse-ox machine in the closet where I had already put the IV pole with the feeding pump. Finally, a bedroom that looks like a little girls bedroom, with no hint of medical equipment...


You may not appreciate how meaningful this is for us. It's like Emma is finally home from the hospital! She came home physically 2 1/2 years ago, but so much of the mentality and equipment came with us it's been a constant reminder.

Today, I can hardly believe it, we are going to move on. It will be a challenge to avoid using the pulse ox on a regular basis, but I have to trust the doctors at some point and they said it's ok! We can do things without having to notify people or charge the equipment.

There have been other changes this week. We bought Emma a new car seat so that Toby could graduate from the infant carrier.


They are both growing so fast and there are many moments where I wish I could hit the pause button and stay where we are. However, with growth comes new experience and blessings.

After seeing what these kids get up to now, I can only imagine the things we have to look forward too!!

Toby did this, not mice!

No comments: