Sunday, January 9, 2011

Flight Night[mare]

On Sunday December 26, after a few days if self-imposed quarantine (to avoid any sickness before our trip), we decided we simply needed to be in church.

The weather forecast was calling for 10"+ of snow, before our flight was scheduled. It was the worst sort of limbo to be in, the week of Christmas and simply waiting to know if your plans were going to be called off. It was not the prospect of cancellation - it was the WAITING!!

We headed to the airport around 2pm, as the snow was coming down heavy. Our minivan was doing well in the thick snow and we made it to the airport in good time. We checked in only to wait inside the airport.

The flight was already delayed due to the plane being late coming in and after it arrived there was no decision on when or if it would leave. After several non-decisions, the call was made - cancel the flight. At this point we'd been waiting at the airport for over 6 hours, and our kids were just as wired.

While we all waited to see if we were going to fly out, Emma made some new friends and had them captivated!

We had to collect our bags only to return the next day for the re-scheduled flight. At midnight, with terrible road conditions and a ton of luggage we had no idea how we were going to get home for the night.

Toby and Emma did not sleep the whole time we were waiting for our flight, and through the delay! Here they are around 11pm while we waited to get our bags and go home:


I totally underestimated my friend Christina, who braved the conditions to come and pick us up, and take us home, when no-one else could! We can't thank her enough for that.

Emma fell asleep on me as we waited for Christina, but Toby was as wired as ever.
We tried to let him burn it off the whole evening, but he was still going at midnight!

We got home around 1am, and the kids were up at 7am as usual! We spent the next few hours trying to gauge the forecast and see if our flight would take off that day. I had been regretting not re-booking onto the Monday flight at the first sign of snow - until we learned the flight scheduled for the Monday had been canceled to make room for ours!! You see, if I had re-booked our flight prior to the snow it would have been canceled, to be replaced by our re-scheduled flight. This was quite the unusual scenario, and we believe, totally a God thing.

We finally took off on Monday December 27, around 7.30pm, 5 days after our original flight and the latest we would have flown before forgetting the whole thing altogether!

No comments: