Friday, January 14, 2011

Home Sweet Home

This trip, more than any before, showed me that home is where I am living now. That's not to say I don't miss my family and friends, because I do. But the reality is that my home is not in the UK anymore. Although, I will always feel at home in my family's homes!!

After 12 days in the UK, as much as I did not want to say goodbye to my family (especially not knowing when I might see them again), I was ready to come home. We packed up the car, and I mean packed, to the hilt, and set off for Heathrow. Only then did the sun come out, the one day of the entire trip!

The kids were pacified on all the long car journeys by the DVD system we took with us. It was so worth it. We were also able to connect it to my parents TV, so Emma could watch her favorites.

Once at the airport we had just enough time to get some food (what kind of airport has no fast food places? Not a kid-friendly terminal!) and catch the underground train to our gate.

We had no delays and even though it was smaller plane, it was half empty (yay extra seats) and had the individually controlled TVs. Both kids were asleep before we took off, and Scott and I managed to watch half of Inception before they woke up. We took it in shifts then to finish that and I got most of Wall Street in too (I still don't know what happens at the end!)




One of the things we brought home that we did not take was a small pink toilet seat. That's right - for Emma! Before we went I thought the trip might be a good time to try potty training. My parents have a ground floor bathroom (which we don't) and I would not be working alone! In fact, Scott really took the lead on this as I still felt unprepared to deal with a toilet-trained child!!

By the time we left my parents, Emma was asking to go potty, even stopping playing the DS, and barely soiling her diapers at bedtime. I'm still dreading having to use public bathrooms, but I can see the confidence it has given her, and the $$ we'll save!!

Monday January 10 was my first day alone with the kids in almost 3 weeks! After a restless night tending to Emma, who has a terrible cold, and a jet lagged Toby, I knew it would not be easy. Before lunch I already faced this...

Oh the fun to come!!

I also made the trip to replenish the food we had not been able to store over the holidays. A 2 hour trip, which thankfully did not require a potty break!!

No comments: