Emma came home on Wednesday February 27, 2008. She was 3 1/2 months old. As I look at the postings of the days leading up to her discharge and the first few days at home I noticed something significant.
We were expecting to bring her home on the Monday, but couldn't because she had diarrhea. By the time we did get discharged on the Wednesday I was so longing to bring her home that it eclipsed my anxieties. There's another reason why unexpected delays can be to our benefit!
I realize that to look back at the progress of any child from 3 months to 39 months there is going to be some significant improvement! However, I have been contemplating the milestones we were never really sure Emma would reach.
When we brought Emma home she was still pretty weak, not only because of the Moebius, but also from the time in a hospital bed. We used to be able to lay her on the sofa for long periods with no worry of her rolling off. Now she rarely sits down, even watching TV standing up or bouncing around the living room!
This morning, at breakfast I burped, and before I had chance to say anything Emma piped up "Excuse YOU Mummy!" I can't remember when Emma said her first word, but there have been many since. We didn't know to what extent Emma would be able to express her thoughts and feelings verbally, but people that know her are able to understand 70-90% of her words. That's HUGE.
Something else that we wondered about when Emma came home was how would we be able to manage without my income. It seems quite funny now because for the past few months we've not known where Scott's income would come from!! However, we have not only gotten by, but we have been able to accomplish the things we wanted and even a few vacations.
I feel blessed that we can see clearly the hand of God's healing and provision throughout our lives. It's that testimony we can lean on when we go through struggles in the future. The past three years have been the hardest in my life, but they have also been the best!
We were expecting to bring her home on the Monday, but couldn't because she had diarrhea. By the time we did get discharged on the Wednesday I was so longing to bring her home that it eclipsed my anxieties. There's another reason why unexpected delays can be to our benefit!
I realize that to look back at the progress of any child from 3 months to 39 months there is going to be some significant improvement! However, I have been contemplating the milestones we were never really sure Emma would reach.
When we brought Emma home she was still pretty weak, not only because of the Moebius, but also from the time in a hospital bed. We used to be able to lay her on the sofa for long periods with no worry of her rolling off. Now she rarely sits down, even watching TV standing up or bouncing around the living room!
This morning, at breakfast I burped, and before I had chance to say anything Emma piped up "Excuse YOU Mummy!" I can't remember when Emma said her first word, but there have been many since. We didn't know to what extent Emma would be able to express her thoughts and feelings verbally, but people that know her are able to understand 70-90% of her words. That's HUGE.
Something else that we wondered about when Emma came home was how would we be able to manage without my income. It seems quite funny now because for the past few months we've not known where Scott's income would come from!! However, we have not only gotten by, but we have been able to accomplish the things we wanted and even a few vacations.
I feel blessed that we can see clearly the hand of God's healing and provision throughout our lives. It's that testimony we can lean on when we go through struggles in the future. The past three years have been the hardest in my life, but they have also been the best!
No comments:
Post a Comment