Monday, February 7, 2011

Mii Time

Scott asked two things of me yesterday after I told him how I was feeling (he wants me to be home with the kids, unless I want to work for the social aspect! Love him!). The first was to not miss him too much when he's working long hours. The second was to turn the TV off as much as possible! (The second makes the first harder and vice versa!!)

Every day presents a choice after naptime. Either keep the kids busy and happy, or make dinner so that we can all eat together. Recently it's been easier because Scott is working late, so I keep the kids happy and then make them something quick (but not nutritious!) for dinner. We eat later.

However, Scott's about to head up a big church renovation which will keep him out most nights from 6pm to 10pm and Saturdays. So I want to make the most of the time he's home, especially having dinner together before he goes. So tonight I chose to make dinner. I also tried to keep the TV off!

It was fine at first, both kids in their high chairs with a piece of toast! (Emma still has the high chair because she's so little it makes it easier for her to feed herself.) Emma had the DS while Toby ate. TV off.

When Toby started to get restless Emma was amusing him. I watched as she would yell something at him and they'd both crack up. That only lasted until the toast was done.

When I let them out Toby was a fussy mess, but I was determined to make the chicken casserole I had planned for dinner. I ignored the crying at the kitchen gate, but when he climbed up on the table I grabbed him for time out in the Pack n Play! More crying.

Scott arrived home shortly after and took them off my hands. A friend dropped by unexpected which distracted the kids from the TV for a while longer. Then Scott took a shower and got the kids bathed while I finished up dinner. No TV.

We sat down to dinner, but Emma did not want to eat the casserole. Normally they'd both be facing the TV but tonight we sat round the table. Toby started eating and eventually Emma agreed - and finished her plate! No TV.

After dinner Scott brought the Wii down from our room so we could have some family fun - technically it was TV, but not programming!! Emma had a great time bowling and playing baseball, before Scott and I played some tennis.

It was a nice change and after a while Emma stopped asking to watch her "shows". We kept Toby amused with the spare Wii-mote and then Scott's cellphone!

Of course, we had to update Emma's Mii and create a new one for Toby...


I'm doing much better. I want to thank my friend that called and let me know I'm not the only one who feels like this. That's probably the worst part, when you feel like you're alone. I know I can trust God to provide, I guess I'm just really struggling to trust Him, to do it His way. And that is a daily decision that I'll be making for the rest of my life.

I liken it to driving in fog, where you can only just see the car in front of you. You can't see the road ahead, but you trust that if you drive slow, and stay on the road, you'll come out the other side.

No comments: