Thursday, April 7, 2011

Big hints

I'm really starting to get self-conscious about our front yard. Every day it seems there is a new flyer for a landscaping service, stuck in the door or mailbox!

I know it's not pretty - on Mother's Day 3 years ago we began a lengthy process of ripping out all the dead plants from the flower beds under the front windows and around the side of the house. There were only 6 in front, but some massively overgrown fern-thingies and lily-of-the-valley round the side. Oh and then there were the 4 giant bushes - remember this...

Since then a combination of economics and other priorities have really just kept us from getting back out there. The storm last June helped, in providing new shutters and a reason to pull down the ugly green metal awning over the front door, but other than that no improvements have been made.

And where do you start? Planting new beds (after re-weeding)? Or putting in a patio that I so desperately want? The procrastination continues!

I'm hoping that when my parents visit this summer they can give us some advice (no, not actually do it!) because neither Scott or myself have the experience. And since Scott's brother is starting his own landscaping business we might be able to get some expert with implementation!

In the meantime, I will continue to create a mental punch-list of the things I would love to do inside the house (if two, 30lb, whirling dervishes were not always at my heels!!).


No comments: