Monday, April 4, 2011

Prophets of Doom

While the kids were napping today I watched this program on the History Channel called "Prophets of Doom". I think you can sense how smart this was for me!! What's worse is I actually recorded the show weeks ago and have not wanted to watch it!! I caught part of it one afternoon and not being able to listen, but curious just hit record.

Well, today I did. The program was 6 "experts" brought together to effectively discuss what they saw as being the impending doom for the US! The 6 areas that they discussed were:
  • Financial collapse (not so far fetched)
  • Water shortage (particularly increased demand and decreased quality and supply)
  • Peak oil (The US is reliant on foreign oil, of which the supply is likely about to sharply decrease.)
  • Nuclear terrorism (not far fetched either)
  • Over-population (I missed this bit, before I tuned in)
  • Technology (Apparently artificial intelligence will be the stuff of movies in 20 years).
Unfortunately the solution to ease the catastrophic impact of these areas is conservation of resources. Not something any of us are very good at without extreme circumstances.

As pessimistic as the show was, and as obvious as some of these problems already are, I probably didn't need to watch it!! Perhaps HGTV is a better option for light afternoon viewing!


No comments: