Thursday, May 26, 2011

Work it!!

I know you've been dying to know how my taste of the corporate world has been going, and I won't keep you waiting any longer!

I worked a few days last week (no more than two consecutive days) and every day this week. As you might imagine, I've made a few discoveries along the way!

First, I have to give a ton of credit to mothers who work full-time. Regardless of if it's by choice or necessity, I can't imagine it's easy to miss so much of your little ones' time. (Once they hit school it might be a different story!)

For me, the moments we have together before we leave the house at 8am (and they are mere moments, since I try and let the kids sleep as much as possible), and when I finally arrive home around 6pm, they are precious.

Unfortunately, they have not all been as idyllic as I would intend! Good intentions of spending quality time with the kids has been sidetracked by household responsibilities (no matter how hard I try to ignore them), but on a more personal level - fatigue!! I am so very tired.

Typing this posting is my way of switching things up so I don't fall asleep at my [reception] desk! In fact, I just spent over $2 for a Red Bull (you know it kills me to pay that!!).

Despite failing miserably to focus my free-time on enjoying the kids, I am very much looking forward to returning to the freedom of staying home. It took me a long time to start utilizing the gift of being unemployed, but I was, and moreso than ever, will take full advantage again!

You would be forgiven, based on these comments, for thinking I was miserable at work. Not the case, at all! I am really enjoying the change of scene, pace and conversation. It's great to spend time with the people who have known me the longest in the US. (And for some reason, they still like me!!)

The first day, and increasingly every day since, it has felt like I never stopped working. The 3 1/2 years I was not here evaporated like the morning dew. Things are not exactly the same, there are some new faces in the office, and I am different.

Without a shadow of a doubt, I know I would not want to work full-time right now. (Though I would if I needed too!). As for part-time, that could be a great compromise! We'll have to wait and see what happens in the future.

As for the kids, I can't believe how well they've adapted - though I should not be surprised! Emma gets a little upset when I leave them at Christina's, but I get the "she's fine now" text before I've even made it around the corner. Toby, the one I thought would be upset, is not bothered. He loves being with the boys and both Emma and Toby LOVE Penny the dog!

Emma's biggest thrill is going in her pink car seat (our spare) and going in Daddy's car, when Scott picks them up around 4pm!

For a few years now, Sunday has been the only day with a different schedule - Scott is off, and we go to church. Each day was much the same as the day before. But now I am so looking forward to the whole weekend - 3 days off no less, this week!

With less than two weeks until my parents come to visit, and the painting now complete, I doubt I'll get much rest, but have fun nonetheless putting the house back together. Pictures of the finished decorating will be coming soon, but in the meantime I'll just say that the painters did a fabulous job of enhancing Scotts handiwork.

No comments: