Both today and yesterday, when I left the kids at Christina's Emma just waved and said "See you later Mom." ("Mom" is her new thing - she's already grown out of calling me "Mommy!")
It's bittersweet. Of course I don't want her to get upset and cry when I leave, or beg me to stay - it's heart wrenching, even if it was just until I got to my car. However, there is a comfort in knowing that my kids don't want me to leave!
It was a little disconcerting when, in the car on Monday, Emma called to me as "Aunt Christina"! She quickly corrected herself, but it was too late!
I'm consoling myself two-fold:
It is good that they trust me when I say I will always come back. (God-willing.)
I get the same kind of greeting that Scott gets when he walks in the door after work! Both kids shouting "Mom" and running top speed to hug my legs. (Isn't it a shame that we lose that sense of joy in a loved one's return as we get older, or are married longer?! I guess it's that "young love" that fades when we allow the distractions of life to dull our joy.)
I only have 3 more days to work before my parents come to visit. After that I will be working for a couple more weeks, but only 3 days per week - Emma skipped therapy the past couple of weeks, but I'm not prepared to let her miss anymore and I need to be there for follow-up!
It's getting easier to say goodbye, but I feel like I'm missing so much of this rapidly-changing time in their life. I can't wait to have more time with them again.
No comments:
Post a Comment