On Tuesday we experienced an earthquake. Just a few days later we are expecting to feel the effects of a hurricane.
Would you believe me if I said I'm not worried? No! And you shouldn't!!
It will come as no surprise that the local media hypes up every band of rain that comes through the area, and there are many people who experience problems caused by heavy rain. But it is a case of the boy who cried wolf.
So as they started to talk about hurricane Irene this week I paid it no attention - that, and the fact that we rarely watch the news anymore as it's so depressing!
However, as we bowled with the kids today (Scott took the day off after working overtime all week), they had the TV on and we caught some of the weather report.
We stopped by Target on the way home and it seemed busier than usual. I was there to get something for my recurrence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but thought perhaps we should grab some bottled water, just in case.
Pah! The shelves were cleared. Oh well, how bad could it be - after all we got through last years 3-day power-outage with no warning and a 9month old baby!
On the way home from a birthday party at 9.30pm we stopped by BJs wholesale store for batteries (for the microphones at church, in case you were wondering) and found that just a few minutes before closing the place was packed. There were no carts available and when I ran in, it looked like people were preparing for Armageddon!
Of course, I grabbed a pack of bottled water (quite heavy with no cart!) and the batteries I need - although there were very few of them too.
Once home, we tuned in to the local news before going to sleep only to learn that the area beaches (less than 80 miles away) are under mandatory evacuation, the city has taken down all flags and we are expecting a foot of rain on Sunday, in what has been the wettest month on record. (That means mucho flooding!!)
Manhattan has evacuated most of the island and they are a couple hundred miles north of here! They've even shut the airports as of noon Saturday.
So, Saturday will just be waiting and praying that once again the media were exaggerating!! I'll keep you posted!
Would you believe me if I said I'm not worried? No! And you shouldn't!!
It will come as no surprise that the local media hypes up every band of rain that comes through the area, and there are many people who experience problems caused by heavy rain. But it is a case of the boy who cried wolf.
So as they started to talk about hurricane Irene this week I paid it no attention - that, and the fact that we rarely watch the news anymore as it's so depressing!
However, as we bowled with the kids today (Scott took the day off after working overtime all week), they had the TV on and we caught some of the weather report.
We stopped by Target on the way home and it seemed busier than usual. I was there to get something for my recurrence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, but thought perhaps we should grab some bottled water, just in case.
Pah! The shelves were cleared. Oh well, how bad could it be - after all we got through last years 3-day power-outage with no warning and a 9month old baby!
On the way home from a birthday party at 9.30pm we stopped by BJs wholesale store for batteries (for the microphones at church, in case you were wondering) and found that just a few minutes before closing the place was packed. There were no carts available and when I ran in, it looked like people were preparing for Armageddon!
Of course, I grabbed a pack of bottled water (quite heavy with no cart!) and the batteries I need - although there were very few of them too.
Once home, we tuned in to the local news before going to sleep only to learn that the area beaches (less than 80 miles away) are under mandatory evacuation, the city has taken down all flags and we are expecting a foot of rain on Sunday, in what has been the wettest month on record. (That means mucho flooding!!)
Manhattan has evacuated most of the island and they are a couple hundred miles north of here! They've even shut the airports as of noon Saturday.
So, Saturday will just be waiting and praying that once again the media were exaggerating!! I'll keep you posted!
1 comment:
Guess where we are? Stuck at my parents', right next to all the evacuated beach towns! We're about 8 miles from the shore. My whole family has lived here forever, and no one has ever heard of the beach towns being evacuated. I think we might be in for a windy ride!
Post a Comment