Thursday, August 2, 2012

New Day

Well, I made it through the night (as I'm sure you knew I would!), only to be rudely awoken at 5:30am by a rapid knocking on our back door.  I'm a light sleeper (especially with both kids next to me) so I woke up first and proceeded to try and wake Scott up with "Someone's knocking at the door!" in slightly panicked tones.  He was disoriented and not as fast as me, so I got to the door first. 

Emma apparently sat up alarmed and said to Scott "Daddy, is someone really at the door?"

I opened the blinds first, for security purposes, to see an elderly man on our back steps.  When I opened the door I saw he had his slippers on and a walking frame.  He asked to use our phone, which of course I grabbed for him.  I was scrambling my brain to think who it might be - we live on a corner of two streets and I'd never seen him in any of our neighbors homes. 

He handed the phone right back - he was hard of hearing and our cordless phone was a bit complicated for him.  He told me his phone number which I tried and it didn't work.  He told me again, with the last digits switched around.  Same thing, and each time he repeated it I think the numbers were different. 

Scott had since arrived on the scene and the man introduced himself and asked if he could sit down.  (I'd agreed to him coming in, but he hadn't moved from the steps.)  Scott helped him in and over to a chair.  While they talked, I tried the numbers he gave us again and eventually called the police. 

He was very impressed with the woodwork in the dining room and liked what we'd done with the place (which told me he lives in a house in our development).  He was really a sweet old guy and enjoyed talking to Scott.

By the time the cop arrived I had looked him up in the phone book (online - who has room for a big book you hardly use!) and there was a man with his name at the other end of our street.  I told the cop the address I found and Scott said he had already given him that address, but when he told him, the house number was the same as the number on the digital clock in the kitchen, so he couldn't be sure it was really his house!

The cop and old man left together about 5 minutes to 6, when Scott would have had to get up for work.  Emma was wide awake at this point and wanted to watch TV, so the rest I wanted before my first day back at work was cut very short!  I just hope the old guy has someone to keep an eye on him, he seemed to have dementia or alzheimers.  If he is to be believed, he is 92 - he said he was born in 1919, but told Scott he was "about 50"!

Jumping forward, after Pops kindly picked the kids up for me (Emma was upset I wasn't driving her, but it would have been too much to drop them off and drive in to work!), I headed off to work.  I had not gone more than a mile before I realized how much it could hurt if I didn't take it easy on the drive.  I tried to use smoother movements between the brake and gas pedals, but I was feeling discomfort by the time I got to work.

I am not really in pain, but there are levels of comfort!  I am still a little light headed, but not dizzy per se.  I'll have three days before I have to come back to work, so I'll try to get rest and keep healing during that time.

As for my fears (which are always worse at night, of course!), well, I'm trying to channel them into making the most of each day and treating Scott and the kids in a way they will know how much I love them.  (That's a process - I so easily get mad with little things that I forget how happy and blessed I am!)

No comments: