Sunday, October 28, 2012

Bracing

Well, it looks like the storm is only going to get stronger between now and tomorrow.  Schools are closing for Monday and Tuesday, the city's transportation system is shutting down and they are expecting the rainfall equivalent of 5' of snow!  

I'm not sure we're really ready or what that means.  We are on pretty high ground so major flooding would be unlikely in our neighborhood.  Our biggest concern is the wet ground makes it more likely for trees to be uprooted and fall on power lines.  Most of them still have leaves, which acts like a sail catching the wind.

I did buy extra water on Thursday, but I might try and pick up a few more things tomorrow - since my office is closed, I'll be home! 

The bad weather is really expected Monday PM, but it's windy and rainy today.  We put all our trash cans and toys in the shed, and hopefully the playhouses etc will be too heavy to fly off.

That said, it's hard to prepare for power outages.  We do have gas in our cars, and will charge our electronics (although without wireless or cell towers both will be be useless!

One thing we are thankful for is that it is neither hot or too cold outside, so we do not have to be too concerned about staying warm or cool.  I'm caught up on cleaning and laundry so that's good.

Scott is planning to go to work tomorrow - but that may change.  He's currently working (yay!) on a new high-rise, above the 15th floor (boo!) and has to go up stairs or a cage elevator on the outside of the building.  I'm really not sure if they will be allowed up if the winds are that strong. We may lose the wages, but I'd rather he was safe.

So, as long as we have cellphone coverage, we'll be in touch by email, blog or phone.  We'll be skyping family in the morning too, just in case we can't again for a while.

Stay warm people!

No comments: