Tuesday, July 30, 2013

D'oh

I feel like an idiot!  I'm actually angry at myself, and thought about taking Sunday's post down.  But I'm not about to start hiding my flaws now!  I'm weak, I fall to the same temptations as other people at times - but I can not allow myself to stay down.

How anxious have I been about people judging my little girl, who has a big belly because her intestines were not in there when she was formed!  She's not fat!  Her belly, with it's numerous scars and distinct button, is a miracle of healing and medicine.

Unfortunately I can't explain that to everyone we meet, and I'm hesitant to even try, because judging is something people do.  We all do it.  And I don't want Emma to be self-conscious about something that is kind of normal.

I don't know if sub-consciously I worried people will judge me as a parent.  Let them.  I have done the best I can.

I still want to protect Emma from the mean-ness of other kids and people, but as a good friend pointed out, that's inevitable.  Who has not experienced bullying and teasing?!

I will continue to teach her what I have all along - some people will be mean, and they're entitled to their opinion.  That does not mean they are right.  Look to the opinions of those you love, respect and trust, and even then you may find meanies!  God alone can provide the true value of who we are, as He created us and knows why, how and who we are to Him.

Additionally, you should be above reproach (or in words for a 5 year old...) - you don't be mean to other people, treat them as you would want to be treated.  Be someone people can trust and respect, the best deterrent for bullies.

It seems I still have a lot of growing up to do.  Healing old wounds, revisiting how to forgive

No comments: