Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Perspective

I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times, and I'm thankful God is patient and merciful towards me.

My last post about Emma starting school was very candid and probably showed a little of my own insecurities.  But what it also showed is how very quickly we lose perspective and get sucked into a worldly pattern of thinking.

As Emma packed up her little handbag with dolls to take to Nannas this morning, it was hard not to flash back a few years.

There was a time not so long ago that we fretted about whether we should have the nurse accompany her to school to give bolus tube feeds, and we would cover the night shift, watching over her breathing with the CPAP machine.

We wondered if the other kids and teachers would understand her speech, or if she would be able to communicate her needs.

As those prayers were answered, over and abundantly beyond our bravest expectations, those concerns disappeared.

However, it is true that so quickly new fears will come along and take their place, so used to looking for worst case scenario as I am!

In 1 John 4:18 the Bible says 
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

This was always confusing to me, but I've begun to understand that when I abide/dwell/focus on God's love for Emma, and me, that fear has no place.

He promises purpose, protection, strength and reward.  It's enough to make you fearless, when you believe.

And so it is, when I reframe the story into God's purpose for Emma, and who he has made her inside, I am able to let go of the urge to make her conform to what the world would say is ordinary.

She will never be ordinary, she is already extraordinary!

No comments: