Thursday, September 12, 2013

Big guy

Tuesday was also a big day for Toby - orientation at his pre-school.  We chose it because it's in our town, and several friends highly recommended it.  It also happens to be around the corner from Scott's parents house!!

However, we had not met his teachers before this.  We did take the kids for a tour in May, so Toby has been pointing it out each time we drive by.

Toby was clearly back and forth between excitement, bravado and anxiety!  He's nowhere near as outgoing as Emma so this was a big step for us both!

I had to take a recent picture with us, but I rarely print these days, so I took one that morning and emailed it to be printed.  I can't believe how big he is getting!
Despite the big grin, he was fairly anxious all day.

We dropped Emma at Nanna's and walked round to the school.  He did not want to hold my hand, and ran ahead most of the way!  He wore his "cool" shoes, but wouldn't let me spike his hair - he doesn't like all the attention it gets, albeit positive. In fact the other day Emma was telling him he looked handsome, and he said "No Emma! I not handsome, I'm cool!" Haha!

Once inside he still didn't hold my hand but leaned up against me, shy and quiet.  He clung to my leg as we filtered in to the classroom and only cheered up when he was drawing a picture.
He drew a self-portrait, and then I told him to put his name on it, and he did.  I think that's pretty impressive!

His first homework assignment was to decorate the bag all the kids are given for school.  I put his name on it and then taped over the letters so he could paint all over it!

Tonight I spent 3 hours going through the piles of papers we have received from the schools.  They have all kinds of events and fundraisers, sign-ups for all kinds of things.  At both levels they really want parents involved - and chipping in with supplies!  We had to buy a bunch of stuff like pencils and glue for Emma.

Since Emma will bring home a new book to read EVERY night, and has sight words to learn etc, I turned one of the cabinets into a cubby, and they can each have a bin to store their school stuff in. 

This couple of weeks has been so hard, and all my mom friends say it stays this busy!  So, it will just be a case of juggling the schedules and activities and not losing my mind or patience!

If you think of it, please pray for Toby.  He seems to be overly anxious and very volatile at the moment.  I guess it's a big transition, and with Emma being so easy, it's hard to know how to help him.

No comments: