Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of School

Today was Emma's first day of school.  Well, technically it was just a 90 minute visit that I stayed with her for.  On Thursday she will go in by herself for a half day, and every weekday thereafter.

Her teachers are very nice, and we checked out her classroom and met half the class.  The rest will visit tomorrow.

It was really stressful because they had a scavenger hunt around the classroom, which was chaotic to me.  I also hadn't realized that she would be at school in the morning, so I didn't bring the required supplies - the pm kids don't bring them until January!

The supplies?  Crayons, markers, pencils, tissues and a slew of other things.  It's pretty standard here, although I feel our taxes should cover it!!

Emma chose a dress to wear today, because it is still hot, and her tatty old sandals!!  I was not in the mood to argue!



After the school visit I took her for lunch.  
Yes, we went home so she could change (!) as it was really hot, and to get the supply list for after lunch.

She got a free watch, and then told me the time every other minute!!

Due to the stress and heat I have to say it was not the special quality time lunch I had hoped.  I struggled with feelings of anxiety, failure and frustration.  I'm finding it harder and harder to detach my expectations of myself from the reality, and just try and enjoy my kids.

There's always tomorrow.

No comments: