Today was a real emotional roller-coaster. It started out with me asking Emma a couple of questions about school that got answers I was not happy with. From the sounds of it, she was being left out by other kids in the line before school and at recess.
I don't expect 6 year olds to be hyper-sensitive to people being left out or mature enough to include those who are (most adults don't do it!). So I wasn't as much mad at other kids, as just sad for Emma. Of course, I couldn't show that! She didn't seem overly concerned and me focusing on it would make it worse.
Then, after we dropped Emma at school, it was time to take Toby in for his first full day of school (2.5 hours anyway!). He was doing great, really positive until it was time to get out of the car. With each minute he seemed to pull back into himself.
When the teachers came down the stairs to get the kids he was trying hard to vanish in to the wall! I got down on his level, talked with him and reassured him. I walked with him to the teachers aide he liked from Monday. She nicely led him away from me and up the stairs.
He walked slowly up the stairs, without turning back. I saw him wipe his forearm across his face, but other than that nothing. He was so brave, not crying, clinging or refusing to go. I was really proud of him.
When Pops picked him up, he was smiling and said he had a good time. He enjoyed playing on the playground with the other kids. Hopefully tomorrow will be a little easier.
Tonight we had Curriculum night at Emma's school. We gathered with the parents of all the kids in her class and met with the teacher. I had prepared another letter like last years and the Principal gave a great speech about embracing each others differences. It was so much more heartfelt than last year, presumably because she now knows Emma personally.
Apparently one of the little girls from her class last year, also in this class "loves" Emma! We will hopefully get the kids together - although Scott knew the parents from school and some of the history made us wary. But then, people might say the same about Scott, not knowing he's been clean and sober for 13 years!
Also, the teacher reassured us that Emma is doing great and participating with all the other kids. So, no need to worry at this time.
In conclusion, if adults acted the way we say we want our kids to act, this world would be so much better!! That's what I've taken away from this! After all, kids see what we do more than they hear what we say.
No comments:
Post a Comment