As Emma and I shared the bathroom this morning she puffed her belly out and said "see how big my belly is? I don't want it to get any bigger." My heart sank. "why not?" I asked. "I like my skinnyness."
I was crushed. I have tried so hard to keep body image issues away from Em. We never use the word fat - I mean at all! We have been addressing her weight but we never discuss it and only focus on being more healthy, as a family. We talk about exercise and eating balanced diets so we aren't lazy and unhealthy.
I didn't even want the kids to know I started Weight Watchers because I don't want them to think that the number matters as much as developing healthier habits!
That said I know I mention her waistline when clothes don't fit her right, because that's where. I have tried to use other words to describe the issue like thick (it doesn't mean unintelligent here) or a little girth.
It's not even fat! She's just had a big belly since they put her intestines in. That's why I buy clothes one or two sizes above her age, and usually short sleeves (because they're always too long). She only like to wear tights or leggings on the bottom, I think because they are stretchy round the middle and not too long.
Even if I am super conscious about my words, it's still EVERYWHERE in our culture, and it breaks my heart that she's so young and worrying about having a big belly. This motherhood thing is hard. I'm thankful that success is simply doing my best, and I can trust God for the rest.
No comments:
Post a Comment