Tuesday, June 23, 2015

We have three TVs at home: a small old one in Emma's room with a DVD player, the biggest one in the basement with the Wii and a DVD player, and one in the living room with cable.  Having only one TV you can watch live TV on, with 4 people, has some challenges, however it does also present some opportunities!

Take this morning for example - Emma was up early and was watching TV.  Toby got up, and after the show Emma had been watching was over declared it was his turn to choose a show.  (This is a rule for when they argue - they take turns picking the show/channel!)  However, Emma protested because she had only watched a half episode!

I was getting ready for work, and as usual was tuned out.  So when Toby brought me into it, calling up that "it's not fair" I shut the whole thing down and said "if you can't cooperate, turn it off."  Often they will immediately compromise (by they I mean Toby!), but this morning it may have been too early because they turned it off without protest - though Emma did say "See Toby!" 

Quiet ensued for several minutes, and Toby went to play in his room.  Next thing I hear was Emma, from the living room - "Okay Toby, you can have your turn." 

The one TV policy is good.  We always know what they are watching.  We can easily turn it off if they've had too much and it makes it easier to have family TV time - when Scott and I want to watch something and they are too lazy to do something else!!  We often watch American Ninja Warrior or America's Got Talent - maybe too much...  Last night I asked Emma if she wanted to sit with me on the sofa while we watched AGT and she responded with "That's a yes from me!"

No comments: