I don't know how it was 30 years ago, but here and now, it seems like many kids friendships are forged through relationships between parents. Kids see each other at sports, the playground or play dates. Of course nowhere does it say that you have to participate, however, I feel that to not make efforts to help emma have good friends (not mere acquaintances) I may be letting her down!
The same goes for Toby - this isn't just a Moebius thing, though of course girls are much more complicated socially, so it's kind of easy with Toby. Not to mention that Emma is at the lazy teenager stage a little ahead of her active running around peers! She refuses aimless activity, team sports etc!
Anyway, her teacher was very nice, and later I got a text from Kim (Scott's baby sister, well, 19yo sister) saying that she had that teacher in second grade AND she is the reason she's always wanted to be a teacher! Doesn't that bode well?!
We stopped by the nurse and I filled her in on how she might be needed on a regular basis (eye drops, teeth wiping after lunch, constipation!). She was very sweet and patient so that's good. How reassuring to have a full time nurse in the school, right down the hall from the classroom.
I understand better why summer break is so long here. At 9:30am Emma's classroom was 82f! There is no air conditioning in these older schools, and it's just too hot. Unfortunately the weather is not constrained by school schedules and it looks like a heatwave next week!

No comments:
Post a Comment