I was planning to wait until they were a few days in before reaching out to her, but Monday night I couldn't sleep due to anxiety. So I penned an email (can you pen and email?!), apologising for bugging her on the first day of school, but explaining that it would be helpful if Emma could use a cup at the water fountain and that if someone could please help her wipe her teeth and mouth if needed.
I was able to sleep after that - better to be the pesky parent than let my girl struggle at school. As it turned out I got an email from her on Tuesday afternoon assuring me that I was not a bother and to reach out anytime. She even gave all the class cups for the water fountain, which was perfect!
Emma was excited for her first day, and let me take some pictures!
So cute, but Toby had to be "persuaded" to let her touch him for a picture!
We headed off to school and as we rounded the corner she took off!When I went to pick her up at 3:30pm there was some confusion about which door I was supposed to meet her at, but she was safe hanging out with the principal until we figured it out! I asked her how it went and she was very happy, except for the heat. It was 91°F on Tuesday, 94°F today! And the school has no air conditioning. It is hot in there, and Emma is very fussy about drinking only ice cold water! Thankfully I sent a thermos of ice water with her, and she refilled it at the fountain. Hopefully autumn will arrive soon and they will be more comfortable.
In other news, the girl she was most excited about having in her class again had a new haircut. Apparently emma told her she liked it, but didn't think it suited her - too boyish and assured her it would grow back. 😳. She has certainly inherited my bluntness, so we'll see what happens there!
The same girl though, told Emma today that she has a cute smile, and Emma promptly decided that she does not want to change it now, "you know, with surgery!" As great as that is, I can't help but assume the reverse will be true with a direct insult. We shall see.
As for Toby... He had his kindergarten orientation.
I went to school with him and stayed as he and half his class met the teacher, checked out the room and got comfortable in the new environment.
He was really shy and quiet until Brendan, his buddy from pre-school arrived, and is in the same class.
By chance they are even locker buddies, sharing a locker.
He is still unsure about the whole thing, but I arranged to work from home the rest of this week so that when he and the whole class go in together in Thursday I will be able to pick him up, Friday too.Since Toby got AM (kindergarten is either 9-11:30am or 1-3:30pm), I get to take both kids to school every day. I'm so thankful that I also get to pick Em up, and from next year, Toby too. While staying home would be pleasant, I like being able to combine work and being home when the kids are. It is literally the best of both worlds and I am very thankful.







No comments:
Post a Comment