Things are progressing nicely. Emma is pretty much pain free, and is only taking a muscle relaxer, with a little ibuprofen to help inflammation and take away the taste of the other medicine! The swelling is still pretty significant, but I think it's going down slowly - tough to tell when I see her ever day. The incision scars are healing very well and I think they will be pretty clear in a week.
After having the drains removed on Tuesday, life has been getting more normal. She can sleep without worrying about pulling on the tube, change her clothes etc. Emma is eating only very soft food like scrambled eggs, apple sauce and macaroni and cheese. We are mashing up bananas too! She loves the smoothies that I have for breakfast and lunch, so she gets one of those for breakfast, which she squirts in her mouth with a big syringe!
After our appointment on Tuesday we went to the movies to see the new Jungle Book. We all used the bathroom before the movie and I noticed Emma glance in the mirror, but quickly look away. It broke my heart because she has always loved to look at herself in the mirror - which I see as a sign of a good self-image, not vanity!
Mid-movie Toby needed to pee again, so we all went in to the bathroom. As we rushed back out to get back to the movie a little girl came in, and I was nervous about how she would react to Emma's appearance. She saw Em and said "Aww, she's so cute!" This was definitely a God thing. That's never happened before, and the timing was amazing!
I was not sure if Emma was going to be ok with going back to school before the swelling goes away, and there are only two weeks left after this week! I asked her if she would at least go and visit her class because they all miss her and want to know how it went. She was very reluctant and said she'd think about it.
Later that night we had to pick Toby up from gymnastics. Emma's one coach had come to visit her at home on Monday, but the head coach was desperate to see her. I told Em and she agreed to come in with me. This was her first real public appearance, with kids around. The coaches were amazing. They were so excited for her and praised her new smile. The coach explained to the other girls about her surgery and they were so kind. On the way home Emma said she wanted to visit her class on Friday!
On Wednesday Emma spent the day with Nanna and Pops, and Sophia, so I could return to work. She got a warm welcome and is really feeding off everyone's positivity. She even told her therapist when she visited last night that she was going back to school on Monday!
Her teacher has been keeping tabs on how Emma is doing and letting me know the kids all miss her too. I let her know about our visit, and some of my concerns for her full return and this was her reply:
"I'm so happy to hear that Emma will be visiting tomorrow! I think the sooner she gets in, the easier it will be for her. The kids in room 2 CANNOT wait to see her.
Do you want us to make a big fuss about her return, or just keep it low-key- like a normal da?. I want to make Emma as comfortable as possible, so let me know what you think is best. I will talk to the class about being extra-sensitive. They are such sweet kids and they all love Emma so much!
I would be happy to have lunch with Emma and a couple friends in the classroom if you think that would be better than eating in the cafeteria. I'd be happy to keep her with me during gym class as well.
Let me know what you think is best.
We are so excited for Emma's return!"
We are so thankful to see god's perfect timing in all of this, from getting surgery scheduled as quickly as possible, to being before the summer and having an amazing class and teacher to support her return to school.
Last week Emma's principal called the house to see how she was doing. Emma was rendered speechless - like the President was calling! She also sent her a card this week and Emma was so thrilled. I know this is not standard procedure - Emma has touched the hearts of all the people she comes in to contact with. We are overwhelmed by all the love she is receiving back, but not surprised.
It's so exciting to imagine the transformation over the next few months, and it is truly amazing to see her with a smile that I know is from her heart, not surgery!!
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11After having the drains removed on Tuesday, life has been getting more normal. She can sleep without worrying about pulling on the tube, change her clothes etc. Emma is eating only very soft food like scrambled eggs, apple sauce and macaroni and cheese. We are mashing up bananas too! She loves the smoothies that I have for breakfast and lunch, so she gets one of those for breakfast, which she squirts in her mouth with a big syringe!
After our appointment on Tuesday we went to the movies to see the new Jungle Book. We all used the bathroom before the movie and I noticed Emma glance in the mirror, but quickly look away. It broke my heart because she has always loved to look at herself in the mirror - which I see as a sign of a good self-image, not vanity!
Mid-movie Toby needed to pee again, so we all went in to the bathroom. As we rushed back out to get back to the movie a little girl came in, and I was nervous about how she would react to Emma's appearance. She saw Em and said "Aww, she's so cute!" This was definitely a God thing. That's never happened before, and the timing was amazing!
I was not sure if Emma was going to be ok with going back to school before the swelling goes away, and there are only two weeks left after this week! I asked her if she would at least go and visit her class because they all miss her and want to know how it went. She was very reluctant and said she'd think about it.
Later that night we had to pick Toby up from gymnastics. Emma's one coach had come to visit her at home on Monday, but the head coach was desperate to see her. I told Em and she agreed to come in with me. This was her first real public appearance, with kids around. The coaches were amazing. They were so excited for her and praised her new smile. The coach explained to the other girls about her surgery and they were so kind. On the way home Emma said she wanted to visit her class on Friday!
On Wednesday Emma spent the day with Nanna and Pops, and Sophia, so I could return to work. She got a warm welcome and is really feeding off everyone's positivity. She even told her therapist when she visited last night that she was going back to school on Monday!
Her teacher has been keeping tabs on how Emma is doing and letting me know the kids all miss her too. I let her know about our visit, and some of my concerns for her full return and this was her reply:
"I'm so happy to hear that Emma will be visiting tomorrow! I think the sooner she gets in, the easier it will be for her. The kids in room 2 CANNOT wait to see her.
Do you want us to make a big fuss about her return, or just keep it low-key- like a normal da?. I want to make Emma as comfortable as possible, so let me know what you think is best. I will talk to the class about being extra-sensitive. They are such sweet kids and they all love Emma so much!
I would be happy to have lunch with Emma and a couple friends in the classroom if you think that would be better than eating in the cafeteria. I'd be happy to keep her with me during gym class as well.
Let me know what you think is best.
We are so excited for Emma's return!"
We are so thankful to see god's perfect timing in all of this, from getting surgery scheduled as quickly as possible, to being before the summer and having an amazing class and teacher to support her return to school.
Last week Emma's principal called the house to see how she was doing. Emma was rendered speechless - like the President was calling! She also sent her a card this week and Emma was so thrilled. I know this is not standard procedure - Emma has touched the hearts of all the people she comes in to contact with. We are overwhelmed by all the love she is receiving back, but not surprised.
It's so exciting to imagine the transformation over the next few months, and it is truly amazing to see her with a smile that I know is from her heart, not surgery!!
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
No comments:
Post a Comment