Friday, April 7, 2017

Beware

A few days ago (Wednesday) there were two burglaries in our town, one across the street from us.  Here's what happened:

The old woman and her son (who is pretty old too) were doing some work in the front yard when a man approached them claiming to be a contractor.  He was wearing an orange construction type vest, but otherwise pretty scruffy (I know because I saw him walk past our house and over to them).

He persuaded them to go round the back of the house to look at some work they should do.  Meanwhile he had an accomplice who went in the unlocked front door to ransack the house. 

Thankfully, the woman's granddaughter, who lives there, was inside and confronted the man as he went upstairs.  We believe he fled before taking anything.

Another home not too far away was not so lucky and they had things taken.

When the police told us about this, and I told them what I'd seen, I also mentioned a blue minivan that had pulled up across the street within the same period (I had been outside doing yard work too), probably before the guy came.  When the kids are outside I always pay attention to vehicles that stop on either of the two streets bordering our house.

I am posting this as a word of caution, no matter where you live, to be cautious of strangers, approaching without invitation and visible credentials - the guy didn't even have a vehicle, he walked from around the block! 

No comments: