Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A crying shame

Yesterday Emma was crying more than usual and we put it down to hunger. Today she is crying more - despite increased feed volumes. she is comforted by being held and rocked - but at 9lbs+ that is not sustainable all day (thank God Scott is around in the evening)! She screams when she is put down - maybe not immediately but after a few minutes.

I was here from 10am-1pm and then came back at 5pm, and we're still here. I'm exhausted and a little concerned, she did not cry this constantly a week ago! And while I'm sure many newborns drive their parents up the wall, for Emma there is the possibility that something is bothering her beyond basic bodily function.

Her NICU neighbor has long been an incessant crier and we have felt bad for his parents, and relieved about Emma's seemingly agreeable nature. I hope we did not speak to soon!

When I do remember she could be home in a couple of weeks I do get anxious. So much responsibility and the energy, well!! The nurses assure me I'm doing great and will be fine, however asking the nurse what she thinks will no longer be an option!

As for right now, in the time it took me to write this posting, Scott has rocked Emma to sleep finally. I suppose he'll just have to stand there holding her all night!

No comments: