Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Sign of the times

I am feeling so blessed today. I never thought I'd see the day when I had a good ol' chat to my Grandma and Grandad via webcam over 3,000 miles away, but I just did! Thanks to my wonderful (!) uncle who bought my grandma a laptop, I just saw my grandparents for the first time since November 2006! It really shrank the distance that I sometimes feel, and they can now read the blog!

And, would you believe it, Emma has had two valentine's cards! No - I haven't even had one [yet]!

Other good news today - Emma's bowels are functioning again after the surgery, so a diaper change must accompany the feeds every 3 hours! She's up to 60ml now, which will be increased again tomorrow.

A strange situation occurred earlier. Emma was screaming at the top of her lungs and it was a cry I had not heard before. I checked the diaper, tried to make sure her surgical site was not hurting. Nothing obvious! As it was noon we hooked up her feed as planned and as soon as the milk entered her belly she quieted!

Emma has been on continuous (24 hours a day) feeds for well at least 2 months, so she has not really experienced hunger pangs. She did today, and she let us know!

What's more, after about 2 minutes her eyelids drooped and she fell right to sleep!

No changes will be made to her breathing support until after her feeding is settled. That way if she doesn't tolerate the food, we know it's not airway related.

It's all looking great and I am choosing to believe that it will continue this way!

No comments: