We had friends over for dinner last night and I think we were all surprised that Emma kept pace with us and did not fall asleep until 10pm, even after just an hour or two of sleep during the day! We each took turns holding her in the hope that one of us would get her to sleep! Alas, it was not to be.
Needless to say we went to bed fairly late, but assuming that Emma would follow her normal sleep pattern. It became clear about 2am that that was not the case.
Emma woke up for a diaper change, flipped out as normal, but then required the pacifier to settle down. This is not good, because once it inevitably falls out it requires replacing. I lost count early on of the number of times I had to get up and do that before she refused to sleep. At one point after I'd had enough Scott even sat up with her to get her to sleep. Didn't work.
What you may not know, and what makes this the most difficult is that the pulse oximeter monitor that has to be on Emma when she is not in direct observation beeps when she moves alot, because it doesn't pick up her vitals. So even if she is quiet and awake, if she's moving then she's beeping. An obnoxious noise at any time of day.
Finally I put the boppy in there, put the mobile on and brought the monitor to bed so I can silence it without moving. Now if only she would take the hint!
In all seriousness it has been tough not to get frustrated and, well, crazy! I am sleep deprived which is never pretty and being new at all this I wonder if there might be something wrong!
To top it off, Scott is sick and has been up for other reasons too. Please pray that he feels better soon, we're a team!
Needless to say we went to bed fairly late, but assuming that Emma would follow her normal sleep pattern. It became clear about 2am that that was not the case.
Emma woke up for a diaper change, flipped out as normal, but then required the pacifier to settle down. This is not good, because once it inevitably falls out it requires replacing. I lost count early on of the number of times I had to get up and do that before she refused to sleep. At one point after I'd had enough Scott even sat up with her to get her to sleep. Didn't work.
What you may not know, and what makes this the most difficult is that the pulse oximeter monitor that has to be on Emma when she is not in direct observation beeps when she moves alot, because it doesn't pick up her vitals. So even if she is quiet and awake, if she's moving then she's beeping. An obnoxious noise at any time of day.
Finally I put the boppy in there, put the mobile on and brought the monitor to bed so I can silence it without moving. Now if only she would take the hint!
In all seriousness it has been tough not to get frustrated and, well, crazy! I am sleep deprived which is never pretty and being new at all this I wonder if there might be something wrong!
To top it off, Scott is sick and has been up for other reasons too. Please pray that he feels better soon, we're a team!
1 comment:
oh that's so annoying! tell her not to do that! sleepy time at night :) I miss you guys!! Scott feel better!
Post a Comment