Monday, March 17, 2008

Moving Forward

Emma and I, as taken on my Mum's webcam!


If there is one thing that you can do when you're home with a baby it is think. Sure, the TV can keep you occupied for so long, but after Clean House and The View are all wrapped up it's just me and my thoughts! Yes, it can be dangerous!

First let me share one of the joys of my weekend. Saturday, after a sleepless night, Scott's parents came over for the afternoon and Scott and I went shopping! It was so nice to go out just the two of us, knowing Emma would be well looked after.

(It gets better, though only some of you may identify with this!)

We went to Old Navy (top store) and Target (also great) and (big build up!!!) I did not feel fat! I can hear the ladies cheering me on! I am only 10ish lbs away from my pre-baby weight, and also am back into one pair of pre-baby pants! It's shallow and temporal, but boy it feels good.

We are hoping to go to the UK in the Spring, so you know I'm going to have to try harder to shed the rest!

Regarding Emma, she just gets cuter every day. I love to lay on the sofa with her, face to face. She will occasionally reach out and touch my cheek or grab my nose. She may actually be trying to wave me off because I love to kiss her little cheeks!

Something I'm not great at doing with her is talking to her. It's so strange - not because I'm a consumate talker, but because I see the way everyone is with other babies, including myself. It took me a while and I realized that when people talk to babies, in silly voices and big smiles we are hoping to get a reciprocal smile or sound.

Now Emma does have her chatty moments and for the most part if she is quiet or chatting I know she's happy, not least from the absence of crying! But when there is no visible or audible response to my faces or babytalk it seems pointless and hard to carry on.

And it is now that I realize one of the big challenges facing her. How often do we smile at people we see regularly, whether we know them well or not. If they do not smile back, it's probably safe to say that we stop smiling at them.

While this is hard for me to fully grasp, it can only be harder for all of you, who don't see her most interactive moments, just as it's difficult to understand the added strain of having to monitor her blood oxygen level and consistency of bowel movements (sorry, but we do!). I'm sure it sounds like hollow excuses every time I say "but it's different for us because..."

So we have decided to get in touch with other Moebius parents and try to get some sense of perspective. We hadn't done so before because to be honest [I'm] terrified that the future will seem more difficult than I can imagine, not to mention just trying to deal with having an infant. Please pray with me that as we take this step into the world of Moebius that we will once again feel the peace of the Almighty Father, and maintain our eternal perspective.

No comments: