At least it looks that way. I had an email back from Dr. R this morning (how awesome to be able to email a top doctor on Sunday night and get an answer back Monday morning! We are so blessed.) and he said it is probably a cold, or teething and not to worry too much if her SATs (% of oxygen, saturation, in her blood) are okay - between 90-100%. Thankfully they are in range.
However, poor Emma sounds terrible. We had to suction her for several minutes last nigth to get all the snot and drool out. (sorry! TMI?) Even then she still sounded congested but we couldn't bear her screaming at having the tube down her nose and throat.
NB: There is no worse scream than one you're responsible for!
We found that when she was laying on her belly she did not have to clear her throat so much and relaxed. So, we broke the major rule about letting a baby sleep on their belly. She was out like as light and sounded great, SATs and heart-rate looked great.
Of course I could not leave her like that - she still struggles to lift her head when tired, so after an hour or so I put her on her side and she slept the rest of the night.
She has now been sleeping for most of the morning (on her belly!) which is just fine as she needs regular suctioning when she's awake. That was not an issue in the hospital, but apparently she has developed an acute aversion to it and pulls her head out of the way and grabs the device making it tough to do! At least asleep she is not aware of the discomfort and I can just keep an eye on her.
I pray that this is short lived and she'll be back to herself soon. Until then it's probably best to keep her at home and as comfortable as possible. I don't want to take the chance it could get worse by going out and about.
I guess I'll do some laundry...
However, poor Emma sounds terrible. We had to suction her for several minutes last nigth to get all the snot and drool out. (sorry! TMI?) Even then she still sounded congested but we couldn't bear her screaming at having the tube down her nose and throat.
NB: There is no worse scream than one you're responsible for!
We found that when she was laying on her belly she did not have to clear her throat so much and relaxed. So, we broke the major rule about letting a baby sleep on their belly. She was out like as light and sounded great, SATs and heart-rate looked great.
Of course I could not leave her like that - she still struggles to lift her head when tired, so after an hour or so I put her on her side and she slept the rest of the night.
She has now been sleeping for most of the morning (on her belly!) which is just fine as she needs regular suctioning when she's awake. That was not an issue in the hospital, but apparently she has developed an acute aversion to it and pulls her head out of the way and grabs the device making it tough to do! At least asleep she is not aware of the discomfort and I can just keep an eye on her.
I pray that this is short lived and she'll be back to herself soon. Until then it's probably best to keep her at home and as comfortable as possible. I don't want to take the chance it could get worse by going out and about.
I guess I'll do some laundry...
No comments:
Post a Comment