Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothers Day (US)!

So it's my first official Mothers Day being a mother (the UK already had mother's day but I wasn't there so it doesn't count!). I can't say I'm particularly excited, I'm not really sure what it means, oh - other than I get the day off! Scott tells me I don't have to do anything tomorrow, including get up for feeds. Just one day, it seems like a lot of effort to get excited only to be back to work the day after!!! ;-)

In all seriousness, I am wishing mothers everywhere a wonderful day tomorrow, whether with their children or not. After all we don't have kids because of what they do for us, but because - why do we have kids?

What did you answer? I hope it wasn't to look after you in your old age, or for the child tax credit!! I have to say that the only reason I have for having Emma is because I wanted a child to pour my heart into. I have always loved babies, and my own child - how much fun to have my own to love and raise.

Really, there is no other logical reason! They wreak havoc on your lifestyle, suck your wallet dry, cause you many occasions of worry and despair and, quite often I'm sure, someday tell you they wish you'd leave them alone! If it wasn't about our love for our children our families would not work because all too often children don't show us much love!!

Yet knowing all this we can't wait to create this new little being that will occupy much of our time for the rest of our lives!

I am so thankful for Emma and the privilege of being her mother.

Thinking about it, you have got to wonder what God was thinking when he created a whole race of us, and how he feels when we act like the runaway teenager that does not want to acknowledge they even have parents who know what's best. He waits patiently for us to turn to him and ask for his guidance and the way to peace and rest.

1 comment:

Christina Vare said...

Happy first Mother's Day!!! Someday, when Emma tells you she loves you and that you're the best mommy in the whole world, you will know exactly why you had her. :-)

Love you!