Wednesday, September 24, 2008

This morning Emma and I popped to the pharmacy to pick up her medicine before breakfast. I anticipated it to be a quick trip, just to get out of the house.

I thought I'd share the exchange I had with the cashier, for some reason it seems like it was an important conversation!

It was before 9am, so the store was pretty empty and as the cashier came over to ring up our charge she said she must see the baby! Emma's stroller was facing the counter so she could do that. She started "ahhh-ing" over her and asked if she could smile! I said that she couldn't, which welcomed the "not yet" response!

It may just be me, but I can't let that go! Emma would smile if she could and assuming she just can't, YET seems to me an assumption that she is behind in social development. Sure, the average passer-by has not looked that deep into it, but I have too. Besides, you'll see why it's actually better to elaborate...

So I said "Actually, she can't. She has facial paralysis (more simple and understandable than all the 6th and 7th facial nerve jargon!). The lady responded with "Well, you're a sweetie anyway." She then proceeded to make even more baby talk and cooing to her! She did ask if she would ever be able to smile and I stated that I did not know, the truth!

I need to also mention that Emma, always 'expressionless' also decided that she was not going to move a muscle, anywhere and nor would she talk! She sat there like a sack of potatoes!! I wish she would let everyone see what a vibrant and noisy child she actually is. But no, not this morning!

As the lady told me about how her 6 year old son would love to see the baby, and has been requesting a baby sister from his parent, then her mom called and she was telling her she should see this adorable baby, all the while I am waiting patiently for my two items to get scanned!

However, unlike normal, I actually was patient as the lady asked what Emma was dressing up as for Halloween. I answered that she would be a lamb before I realized that we don't actually participate in Halloween as the majority of people do (it's creepy and that's all there is too it!). Instead Emma will be in costume for Fall Festival at church on October 11 (2-5pm). It's great for kids as they dress up, get candy and play games etc.

I invited the lady (Beth I think her tag said) to bring her son to Fall Festival. She said she might do that. Then she rang up the items.

Now, if I had not elaborated on Emma's 'smile' I would never have had the opportunity to invite her to Fall Festival.

Did I mention that this was supposed to be a 5 minute trip?! Anyway on the way home the dreaded 'check engine' light came on. Two words for you - NOT NOW!!!!

1 comment:

Taryn said...

hmm something to think about.