Friday, October 24, 2008

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Scott left for Guatemala on October 17 at 12:10am (to return late on October 25). The days preceding his departure were an emotional roller coaster for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, when he went to Africa for 2 weeks, a few months before we got married I had unexpectedly missed him terribly. We weren't living together, and I was working, doing my usual things, but it was really tough.

Being home all day, with a beautiful (but exhausting) baby I was very fearful of missing him emotionally, but also practically. Most days I am ready to tear my hair out by 6pm when he gets home, so I worried (and prayed) about how I would handle 9 days by myself.

I am certain that my prayers were answered with an incredible patience. Maybe it's grown from all the trials I have faced, or maybe God had to pour an extra large dose into me, but when I would normally be getting frazzled and frustrated I have been calm and consistent!

Emma and I have settled into a routine that allows us both to get plenty of sleep and get out of the house! Yay!

Secondly, for some reason the trip to a foreign country, far away and unknown elicits a fear of something terrible (like death) occurring. It's different than if it were a vacation as he is on a mission, and the Bible is clear that there is an enemy working against us when we carry out God's will. Kind of like a Christian James Bond, working for the Father, and the devil is SPECTRE!! (Sorry, I'm a huge Bond fan!)

Driving on the highway is statistically far more dangerous than flying, so you might call these fears irrational! None the less my mind created many scenarios that had unhappy outcomes.

The night before Scott left we had dinner together (Outback - yum!) and we shared our concerns (yes, he had them too!). We laughed about it, but responsible parents that we are we also touched on big stuff.

I also shared with Scott how these feelings had been affecting how I felt about the daily issues we face. Wet towels and dirty dishes are insignificant when the one you love is about to risk his life to serve the Lord. Additionally, each morning as I watched him leave for work the same thoughts ran through my head and heart.

And that's where I get confused. Why, oh why, can I not keep that same perspective every day? Now I don't mean living in fear of death or separation. I'm referring to allowing love and life to eclipse those petty annoyances or silly squabbles?

None of us know how long we have and each day we need to let those we love know how much they really mean to us, and remind ourselves! I urge you (as I myself plan to do) when your significant other winds you up, before you react, think about if they weren't there for some reason. Maybe we'll all have less stress and much more joy?!

As I write this Scott has been gone for 3 days, with 6 to go. I am pleased that we are coping with our daily grind, but I'm certain that it is the hope of having Scott home again soon and the joy he brings, that is a big help. Not looking at what we are missing today, but fixing our eyes on the future, of being reunited with him.

Mmm, that sounds like a perfect word picture for looking ahead to when Jesus returns! Funny that.

No comments: