Saturday, October 25, 2008

I read an interesting devotional today talking about discouragement. Often when we pray we may not get an immediate answer or response (that we recognize) and that can make us think God won't answer us.

The delay may be a test of patience, which I can say first-hand God tests over and over again! The important point though is that God doesn't test our patience to see how patient we are. He does it to SHOW US how patient we are! Isn't that that the truth!!!

I think that's the case with many different abilities he has given us. Often our desire to forgive is challenged by a big hurt, or our willingness to experience something new or challenging is tested by an unexpected situation.

I used to be incredibly independent. I lived alone for a long time and liked to try and do stuff for myself. When Scott and I started dating I would often try and pay for myself, use public transport (more reliable than him in the early days!!) and generally do for myself. since we got married I increasingly enjoyed Scott's chivalry and willingness to do things for me. To the point where he's gone from commenting on my independence to joking about my neediness. (FYI, catching bugs is something I will ALWAYS request assistance with. From ANYONE!!)

With Scott heading away for 9 days I think we were all a little worried about how well I would cope with Emma by myself. I am thankful, now (!), of the opportunity to see that I can cope and actually enjoy getting Emma all to myself.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't wait for Scott to come back and I will be happy if he doesn't leave again!! I also am sure that it was my faith in God (and His faithfulness in providing) that gave me the patience, energy and joy to deal with the new situation. After all, that's what he's been doing all year!

No comments: