Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fever!!

Emma has been quite sick the past few days. Her dry cough graduated into a very wet one and last night she presented a fever of 101.2f. A fever is normal at the start of a sickness, but not so far into it. That said we headed down to the pediatricians office.

The nurse took her temperature there and it was 101.3f - I'd been taking it all morning and it hadn't gone near 100f, so I was surprised. The doctor checked her lung sounds for signs of pneumonia, but they were clear. The mucus tends to congest Emma's throat and nose, rather than head to her lungs, thank goodness.

He also checked in her ears and one was showing slight signs of inflammation - possibly another ear infection on the way! Most ear infections clear-up by themselves, but we are going back in a few days to see if it progresses. I'm not going to give her precautionary antibiotics when it wreaks such havoc on her guts.

She's in pretty good spirits, some of the time! When she's not clingy and whiny, she's very cute! On Sunday and this morning she was signing Grandma and shoving the phone at us! When we called Grandma Ellen she actually held the phone and "talked"! super cute.

When we were coming out of the doctors I saw an old friend from church who has two adopted daughters from Russia. One of the girls asked where Emma is from. I said she was mine, but she pointed out that she looks different. (The only other person to say so was the old lady in the restaurant who thought she was Chinese!!) I explained that Emma looks slightly different because of the Moebius syndrome and that satisfied her!

I'm glad to say I wasn't at all offended that she thought Emma looks different. After all, she does. And I welcome the opportunity to tell people what she has come through and how special she is.

Last night on 'House' the patient house saved said something that I firmly believe. She said "In this world, if there is no greater purpose for everything I've been through, then this isn't somewhere I want to be." Or something like that. I feel the same way. We firmly believe that God has a great purpose for each one of our lives and our experiences. If there was not God and no purpose, well, there would be no hope!

There's more to it than just hoping that there is a god and he has a purpose. Actually truly believing it means you live life differently. We hope baby #2 does not have to go through the same things Emma did, but if #2 does then we trust God has a great purpose for it, and will continue to give us the strength and faith to handle it. I couldn't live any other way!

No comments: