I don't expect anyone else to understand what it's like to have to hook their child up to machines and tubes every time they go to sleep, or to have to unhok the same things before they can pick them up out of bed. In so many ways it's just like it was in the hospital, unable to move around freely.
However, the machines and tubes alone are not a problem (much). no, the problem right now is that my little girl refuses to sleep in her crib for more than 10 minutes, won't sleep in my bed or on the sofa unless I'm glued to her side, and the things you see on Supernanny and people suggest are not really feasible for her.
You see she is super tired, having not slept properly in more than a week (screaming at night, not napping during the day), and having a ball of mucus in the back of her throat that she can't swallow, cough or I can't suction! I don't think it's the trouble breathing that's really the issue, but the lack of sleep is going to make it tough for her to shake the cold she has.
I'm already feeling helpless, always on hand with Tylenol, like it's going to make it all better! Except now I'm exhausted too, frustrated and really at a loss to know what to do.
So right now, I have unhooked all the tubes and wires and she is standing in her crib screaming for me. Oh, I tried to be kind. I put her down after lunch, tired as she was and she slept for maybe 15 minutes. When she woke up I went in and laid her down again, and sat in the room with her. She pulled off the CPAP, and I let her after the 5th try. I sat there still and she was quiet for maybe 10 more minutes. And then she wanted to get up.
After laying her down a few times I couldn't take it anymore and left her in there alone. I don't know if she knows to lay down and go to sleep as we've not done this before. Last night I went in after a while and laid her down and she slept for a while. I do have to go back in because if she falls asleep I have to switch everything back on!
Such a small problem, and I'm so thankful she is as healthy as she is, but it feels like my head might explode if she doesn't go to sleep. If I let her get up she will whine and cling all afternoon,and right now, with tears stinging my eyes, I can't handle it. Yet I already know that's what I'll do, because I can't listen to my baby crying like that.
Why is it so hard to do the right thing, whatever that is!
However, the machines and tubes alone are not a problem (much). no, the problem right now is that my little girl refuses to sleep in her crib for more than 10 minutes, won't sleep in my bed or on the sofa unless I'm glued to her side, and the things you see on Supernanny and people suggest are not really feasible for her.
You see she is super tired, having not slept properly in more than a week (screaming at night, not napping during the day), and having a ball of mucus in the back of her throat that she can't swallow, cough or I can't suction! I don't think it's the trouble breathing that's really the issue, but the lack of sleep is going to make it tough for her to shake the cold she has.
I'm already feeling helpless, always on hand with Tylenol, like it's going to make it all better! Except now I'm exhausted too, frustrated and really at a loss to know what to do.
So right now, I have unhooked all the tubes and wires and she is standing in her crib screaming for me. Oh, I tried to be kind. I put her down after lunch, tired as she was and she slept for maybe 15 minutes. When she woke up I went in and laid her down again, and sat in the room with her. She pulled off the CPAP, and I let her after the 5th try. I sat there still and she was quiet for maybe 10 more minutes. And then she wanted to get up.
After laying her down a few times I couldn't take it anymore and left her in there alone. I don't know if she knows to lay down and go to sleep as we've not done this before. Last night I went in after a while and laid her down and she slept for a while. I do have to go back in because if she falls asleep I have to switch everything back on!
Such a small problem, and I'm so thankful she is as healthy as she is, but it feels like my head might explode if she doesn't go to sleep. If I let her get up she will whine and cling all afternoon,and right now, with tears stinging my eyes, I can't handle it. Yet I already know that's what I'll do, because I can't listen to my baby crying like that.
Why is it so hard to do the right thing, whatever that is!
No comments:
Post a Comment