Today was Emma's actual appointment at the hospital and we were there on time! Unfortunately the doctors took a little long getting round and we were there for 2 hours!
That aside, we got good news. Although Emma is only 21lbs 10oz, meaning she gained just 5 oz in 2 months, she is growing well and her length has actually accelerated so she is now on the growth curve for that! Apparently at her age her weight gain should only be around 5g per day and I guess that's what it was - I'm not doing the conversion!!
It was surprising though that she continued the behavior from the dentists office. She started freaking out when I took off her clothes to weigh her and then when the nurse tried to listen to her with the stethescope. I was able to calm her down though by asking the nurse to let Emma show her where to put it. Emma bought in and "helped" the nurse.
She didn't go for it a second time when the doctor came in and clung to me like a limpet. She seems to think if she climbs on the baby bump she can get a better grip on me.
The toughest part about these visits is when there is a long wait in the consultation room. Short of some colorful wallpaper there is nothing for Emma to do - even my Nintendo DS was rejected after a while. We were able to pass some time when I stood her against the wall and she would walk across the bed to me. She wouldn't do it in front of the doctors though!
Toys and books don't work because she really just wants to crawl around the floor - not on my watch!!
After we got out we visited Nathan, who's surgery went well. He is on a lot of pain meds and out cold really. Best way for him to be as he has quite the range of tubes and wires. It's definitely tough to see a lively boy so listless, but he is in the best place and his parents and both Grandmas are by his side.
We didn't stay long, it can be quite taxing to make conversation with visitors when you're so focused on your child, so I didn't want to be a pain. Besides Emma was overdue for a nap and passed out int he car on the way home - nice!!
By the way, she moved in to her new bedroom last night and seems to like it alot. Her nurse loves the new room!! I'll get some pictures up when it's all finished!
That aside, we got good news. Although Emma is only 21lbs 10oz, meaning she gained just 5 oz in 2 months, she is growing well and her length has actually accelerated so she is now on the growth curve for that! Apparently at her age her weight gain should only be around 5g per day and I guess that's what it was - I'm not doing the conversion!!
It was surprising though that she continued the behavior from the dentists office. She started freaking out when I took off her clothes to weigh her and then when the nurse tried to listen to her with the stethescope. I was able to calm her down though by asking the nurse to let Emma show her where to put it. Emma bought in and "helped" the nurse.
She didn't go for it a second time when the doctor came in and clung to me like a limpet. She seems to think if she climbs on the baby bump she can get a better grip on me.
The toughest part about these visits is when there is a long wait in the consultation room. Short of some colorful wallpaper there is nothing for Emma to do - even my Nintendo DS was rejected after a while. We were able to pass some time when I stood her against the wall and she would walk across the bed to me. She wouldn't do it in front of the doctors though!
Toys and books don't work because she really just wants to crawl around the floor - not on my watch!!
After we got out we visited Nathan, who's surgery went well. He is on a lot of pain meds and out cold really. Best way for him to be as he has quite the range of tubes and wires. It's definitely tough to see a lively boy so listless, but he is in the best place and his parents and both Grandmas are by his side.
We didn't stay long, it can be quite taxing to make conversation with visitors when you're so focused on your child, so I didn't want to be a pain. Besides Emma was overdue for a nap and passed out int he car on the way home - nice!!
By the way, she moved in to her new bedroom last night and seems to like it alot. Her nurse loves the new room!! I'll get some pictures up when it's all finished!
No comments:
Post a Comment