Friday, September 11, 2009

Busy day

This morning I had a midwife appointment so Grandma Ellen came to watch Emma. Thankfully Emma slept great last night, with no crying at all! This morning she was more like the old Emma and so cute! I was happy to leave her with Grandma though, since I can't even sit on the floor to play with her now. She gets bored with me quickly!!

Rather than being upset I was leaving she seemed fine with the exchange, and even came to wave me off at the door!

My appointment went well and I couldn't resist accepting Moon's (my midwife is called Moon) offer of checking my cervix. I'm constantly wondering if each twinge is the start of labor!! With Emma I was induced so I never needed to recognize the signs.

At 38 1/2 weeks along I'm still only 1cm and long (if you don't know what that means, you don't need to know!!), so the baby isn't coming out very soon! His head is not down all the way yet, but I read that that happens later in a second pregnancy anyway.

I won't bother getting checked again until my due date - it's really not pleasant! At that point though I will use any tactics to bring on labor!! I do not want to get to the point where I need to be induced.

Then it was time for Emma to have occupational therapy with Melissa. She brings this huge bag with all kinds of toys to encourage Emma's motor skills. One of the things Emma likes is the bubbles. She doesn't chase them, but wants to blow them. I really didn't think she'd ever be able to, since she can't purse her lips, but she really surprised us today when not only was she bringing her lips much closer to blow, but it actually produced bubbles!!


This is really exciting because it shows that she is gaining more awareness and control of her jaw and lower lip. The greater manipulation and control she has, the better her speech will get and hopefully she will stop having the apnea!!

I emailed her pulmonologist and his response was "EXCELLENT!!!" Exactly.

Little steps start a big journey!!

No comments: